The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
was anita raped in the stage version? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post was anita raped in the stage version?
i know in the movie version, the shop keeper stopped the gang.

but i heard anita was portayed to be raped in the stage version.

is that true?

just wondering.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's the exact stage directions from the script.

[The taunting breaks out into a wild, savage dance, with epithets hurled at Anita, who is encircled and driven by the whole pack. At the peak, she is shoved so that she falls in a corner. Baby John is lifted up high and dropped on her as Doc enters from the cellar door and yells.]

To me, that sounds like Arthur Laurents meant for Doc to stop them in time. But I have read that some productions imply that the rape is already taking place when he arrives. That's probably just a personal choice of those directors or choreographers, though.

There's a long discussion about this on the Internet Movie Database too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055614/boa ... d/84809552

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Here's the exact stage directions from the script.

[The taunting breaks out into a wild, savage dance, with epithets hurled at Anita, who is encircled and driven by the whole pack. At the peak, she is shoved so that she falls in a corner. Baby John is lifted up high and dropped on her as Doc enters from the cellar door and yells.]

To me, that sounds like Arthur Laurents meant for Doc to stop them in time. But I have read that some productions imply that the rape is already taking place when he arrives. That's probably just a personal choice of those directors or choreographers, though.

There's a long discussion about this on the Internet Movie Database too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055614/boa ... d/84809552

yah i was just on imdb.. that's where i got the idea to ask musicals.net cause , nothing against imdb, but i thought you guys would have more insight on the actual stage production vs. the people who go on imdb who most likely know the movie version. but yah that thread is pretty interesting.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: was anita raped in the stage version?
satch wrote:
i know in the movie version, the shop keeper stopped the gang.

but i heard anita was portayed to be raped in the stage version.

is that true?

just wondering.

No. In the stage version, too, the Jets are stopped by Doc.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:17 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's written to be stopped before anything occurs, but I've always thought it would be more powerful had there been more suspense.

One version I saw on Youtube a few years back had Anita surrounded by the Jets so that she was concealed from the audience's view. Two of the Jets grabbed Baby John and threw him into the circle, presumably on top of Anita. You can hear Anita screaming in Spanish and English and see Baby John trying to fight the other Jets, trying to crawl out between their legs toward the audience. The Jets in the front kick him back into the fray as a shawl Anita is wearing is thrown upward, out of the circle.

There's a lot of hollering for about 20 seconds, and then Doc comes in, sees the dress, picks it up, and starts screaming out his lines as he bursts into the circle from the side, effectively breaking it up. The other Jets run to the other side of the stage, apart from Baby John who frantically claws at the stage to move himself away from Doc. Doc quickly wraps Anita's shawl back around her shoulders, obstructing the audience's view of her. Then, he moves toward the Jets to reveal that the top of Anita's dress has been ripped open and the shawl is the only thing covering her.

Very moving, and done seamlessly. The production was a community theatre one, I believe.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

yeah, when I saw it, it was like Nettik described. Baby john was wearing underwear.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]