The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
great movie, but the ending could have been better. 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post great movie, but the ending could have been better.
i dunno. west side story was supposed to be an homage to romeo and juliet.

i think the movie could have been more effective if maria killed herself. ir maria died in some gang fight.

both lovers in romeo and juliet died.

i just kinda walked away from the ending of west side story feeling unfulfilled.

the camera zooms out. you see a bunch of flashing lights. it just felt too "typical".

i came across this post from somebody off imdb and i thought it was quite interesting....

In Ethan Mordden's book "Coming Up Roses", which is about the Broadway Musicals of the 1950s, he says that the creators originally thought about having Maria kill herself, but were advised not to by Richard Rodgers, who said, "She's already dead."

......... can you imagine if maria killed herself. that would (in my opinion) have had such a huge impact on this movie/play.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I can imagine it, but Rodger's words are so true. When both of them dies, in Romeo and Juliet, it becomes sad because you feel sorry for their families, but in West Side Story it is sad because, like Rodger said, Maria is already dead.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Remember, you are looking at a piece of cinematic history, too...and then it wasn't "typical." Other than Blackboard Jungle, a gritty, semi-realistic "teen" film had never been made like that.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:06 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post This musical was great as it was--on both screen and stage.
I think it's good that West Side Story deviates from Romeo & Juliet at the end by having Maria survive, because it goes to show that Maria had some grit by deciding to go on with her life, rather than ending it. To have the ending of WSS any other way would've sunk this musical totally into the doldrums and ruined its reputation beyond belief....and repair.

The only think I can think of, however, with the ending, is when Maria starts singing "Somewhere" as she's holding Tony's dead body, which a number of people believe, overdoes the ending. The final kiss and "Te Ador, Anton" given to Tony by Maria when he finally dies in her arms probably would've been sufficient.

It's true that the film West Side Story was in a class all by itself, including the cinematic technology, which was also excellent. However, to say that West Side Story is a teen movie isn't altogether accurate; this great golden oldie-but-goody classic film is a movie for pretty much all ages and walks of life.

All of the above having been said, if there was any change at all that should've been made to the ending, it would've been not to have had Maria singing "Somewhere" as she cradles the dying Tony in her arms. Otherwise, the film West Side Story is fabulous as it is!

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think it's good that West Side Story deviates from Romeo & Juliet at the end by having Maria survive, because it goes to show that Maria had some grit by deciding to go on with her life, rather than ending it. To have the ending of WSS any other way would've sunk this musical totally into the doldrums and ruined its reputation beyond belief....and repair.

Also, I think that them choosing to have Maria go on with her life gives her more strength as a character. To have her kill herself would have made her more weak, and Maria should have some backbone.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
God. Self preservation is among the strongest human instincts, It takes a lot more courage to kill yourself than it does to stay alive - this is why people get afraid when guns are pointed at themselves!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:18 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yes, but in this particular situation, Maria might as well already be dead. The fact that Maria doesn't cave in at the face of despair definitely signifies a much-needed strength of character, IMO.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

LedZeppelinBarbieGirl wrote:
The fact that Maria doesn't cave in at the face of despair definitely signifies a much-needed strength of character, IMO.

is right on, LedZeppelinBarbieGirl!!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:52 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think the ending is excellent. You don't expect Maria to stay alive. And I agree with those who say it shows M's strength--it seems to me that to killing herself would be the easy way out.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:57 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think the ending is excellent. You don't expect Maria to stay alive. And I agree with those who say it shows M's strength--it seems to me that to killing herself would be the easy way out.

Great point, "broadwaybirdie". I beg to differ in just one respect, however; I instinctively knew that Maria would survive, like most of the others, in the end.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]