The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
you know, why the hate on natalie wood? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post you know, why the hate on natalie wood?
i went to IMDB after watching the west side story musical and it seemed like everybody was hating on natalie wood playing maria. their main thing was they didn't like how she wasn't puerto rican and she couldnt act or sing.

i thought she did a wonderful job.

she played a naive girl well.

i didn't notice any problems with her till i went to IMDB.

i dunno. did you think natalie wood was well cast as maria.

i mean, everybody was going nuts about rita moreno , but come on....she's the only actress to win the oscar, grammy and tony or something.. i can't remember..but she won 3 major awards...rita was beyond EVERYBODY in the production.

but natalie wood still did a good job... what do you think?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:01 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: you know, why the hate on natalie wood?
satch wrote:
i went to IMDB after watching the west side story musical and it seemed like everybody was hating on natalie wood playing maria. their main thing was they didn't like how she wasn't puerto rican and she couldnt act or sing.

i thought she did a wonderful job.

she played a naive girl well.

i didn't notice any problems with her till i went to IMDB.

i dunno. did you think natalie wood was well cast as maria.

i mean, everybody was going nuts about rita moreno , but come on....she's the only actress to win the oscar, grammy and tony or something.. i can't remember..but she won 3 major awards...rita was beyond EVERYBODY in the production.

but natalie wood still did a good job... what do you think?

I agree with you, satch. Natalie Wood did OK as Maria. Rita Moreno and George Chakiris, who came away with Oscars of their own, were both excellent, as was Russ Tamblyn, Simon Oakland, Tucker Smith, and all the others, with the exception of Richard Beymer, who I thought was kind of a weak, lacklustre Tony.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I've always really admired Natalie Wood, and I loved her as Maria.

The underlying reason for all the hate could have been that she was the real crowd appeal for the movie, being such a big star at the time.

Maybe people felt that such a serious role shouldn't have been cast simply for crowd appeal?

I'm only throwing out suggestions, as I'm a huge Natalie fan.

Past: Grease (Rizzo), WSS (Maria), A Chorus Line (Diana) Les Mis (Mme. Thenardier)
Present: Fame (Carmen)

I overuse emoticons. :P

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:42 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

One of the main reasons is because she didn't sing her own stuff. I know that pissed me off as a child when I saw it for the first time and learned that. It's just... not right. Granted, I guess I feel like a hypocrite, because I absolutely LOVE Mini Driver in Phantom as Carlotta, and she didn't sing a lick. Then again, there wasn't much else TO love about that film.

But, in any case, I guess the difference is, Driver CAN sing, just not that particular style of music (she's a belter, and a fairly good one at that). I mean, not many average, off the street women can do Carlotta's chops, so I don't blame her for not being a seasoned coloraturra. Maria, on the other hand, is sort of a simplistic, ingenue, cute singing role, that, with the right training on Wood's part, could have been executed just fine, if not well. After all, Reese Witherspoon learned to sing JUST for "Walk the Line" and she got the Oscar for it. Just sayin'... lol.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The producers in the film did in fact want to let Natalie Wood try her own singing --- look it up on youtube, there's a plethora of videos of her and the other dubbed actors. She really, really wanted to do her own singing and the prodcuers gave it a shot. However, once they recorded her they saw that her vocals were not in top shape and didn't want to spend time trying to train her. Quite sad, actually. I think if she would have been given lessons for just a little bit, she could have tackled the role with her own singing. She was actually pretty good.

I still love Natalie as Maria, though. I knew about her dubbing after watching the film for like the second time, but I really didn't let that affect my view of her performance. It was what the producers wanted and it's not like she was too lazy to try it. It happens all the time. (Although it is becoming a bit rare these days.)

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:22 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

In the miniseries "The Mystery of Natalie Wood" (based on the biography by Suzanne Finstad) it's also implied that cast & crew members on the set made no secret of their hostility towards Wood 8O .

Personally I've always loved Natalie as Maria; she indeed created the perfect image of a naive young girl on the cusp of her first love affair; even though for me at least, "Gypsy" was her stronger movie musical performance. :)

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I liked Wood. Her notoriously fake accent (which I personally believe was a significant reason why so many people disliked the film - it came off as inauthentic) was a turnoff for me but overall I thought she was convincing in the role. Granted, it's not an easy role to be likable in.

As for her not being Puerto Rican, I do agree that it would have been better if they got a Hispanic actress for the role, but I understood why they cast her. They needed a well-known star for the role to bring in money at the box office. While Wood did not exactly look Puerto Rican, with her dark hair and dark complexion she certainly looked closer than most other Hollywood actresses at the time. To me, as long as the person looks and acts convincing in the role, that's all that really matters.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:52 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Don't forget, though, LedZeppelinBarbieGirl, that, like with any other racial/ethnic group, there are different ways for Puerto Ricans to look. Not all Puerto Ricans or other Spanish-speaking people are dark-skinned, with thick Spanish accents. There are Hispanics who are white, also, and who don't have heavy Spanish accents.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:25 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

There are Hispanics who are white, also, and who don't have heavy Spanish accents.

Yes. But Maria is a poor, uneducated young girl freshly arrive from Puerto Rico who works in a bridal shop all day. She would probably have a thick accent, seeing as she doesn't appear to have had much schooling.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Quote:
There are Hispanics who are white, also, and who don't have heavy Spanish accents.

Yes. But Maria is a poor, uneducated young girl freshly arrive from Puerto Rico who works in a bridal shop all day. She would probably have a thick accent, seeing as she doesn't appear to have had much schooling.

That may be true, LedZeppelinBarbieGirl, but, then again, none of the kids, either the Jets or the Sharks seem to have had much schooling, either.
Just saying.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:03 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

That may be true, LedZeppelinBarbieGirl, but, then again, none of the kids, either the Jets or the Sharks seem to have had much schooling, either.
Just saying.

Just saying what?

All I meant was that logically speaking, the Sharks would probably have really heavy accents because being poor and uneducated and from a different part of the world, chances are slim of them knowing English well. If things were reversed and the Jets went to Puerto Rico, they'd probably have thick American accents as well.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Quote:
Just saying.

Just saying what?

All I meant was that logically speaking, the Sharks would probably have really heavy accents because being poor and uneducated and from a different part of the world, chances are slim of them knowing English well. If things were reversed and the Jets went to Puerto Rico, they'd probably have thick American accents as well.

Could be, LedZeppelinBarbieGirl, but I also think that the Jets had pretty heavy NYC tough-guy accents, too, which also indicated a lack of much schooling and education.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next