The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Why West Side Story is my Alltime Favorite Movie: 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Why West Side Story is my Alltime Favorite Movie:
Hey, folks:

Although I'm still fairly new on this forum, and am still testing the waters, I finally decided to answer this question after checking it out afew times. Although this is kind of long, I decided that posting about
why I love this great movie-musical classic so much was in order. Here goes:

West Side Story not only has a wonderful story behind it, but the cinematic technology, the dancing, the brilliant Bernstein musical score, and the talent that was brought to the film(except Richard Beymer, of course), all helped make West Side Story the wonderfully dynamic and great package that it really is.

The story of the love between a guy and a gal from two very different backgrounds, which grows amid the conflict between two warring street gangs i. e. the Jets and Sharks, while the adults in authority watch as they rebel, is a wonderful story in itself, which has always appealed to me.

The beautiful musical score by Bernstein is so bright and exuberant, and wonderful to listen to, even when one's not watching the movie or seeing a stage play of WSS.

The dancing is so magnificent. The fighting scenes are especially alive, as are the Cool, Dance at the Gym, and the America scenes. The Quintet and the Rumble are also great scenes. The idea that emotions can be expressed so vividly through dance and music is another reason for WSS's appeal to me.

The photography, which is so rich, and t he costumes are terrific also, with rich color and glory, and the sets on which most of WSS was filmed look uncannily like the real thing!(meaning the urban background and city streets and alleys, etc)

Another reason that I love the film WSS as much as I do is because of the fact that WSS is also proof that, at least back then, that there didn't have to be such graphic scenes and scenes of excessive gore and violence that seem to pervade many, if not most of TODAY'S movies. It's also reminiscent of the time when movies had much more of a plot, a story, and, much more style and substance. This is not to say that there are no good movies beings put out today, but, unfortunately, good films these days are fewer and far between, in my opinion.

West Side Story is also in a class by itself, because, with relatively rare exceptions, it's the only musical that was successful on both stage and screen. There are several reasons for this, I think:

A) The fact that when West Side Story was transferred from stage to screen, most of it was filmed on a gigantic soundstage with fantastically-designed sets that looked uncannily like real urban backgrounds, and therefore kept as a piece of theatre in itself.

B) The fact that many, if not most of the actors/actresses who had played in the ORIGINAL Broadway stage productions of WSS had been brought into the film,with some exceptions, of course) therefore the resource of talent was already there. However, I believe that Russ Tamblyn and Rita Moreno, and Simon Oakland were excellent, and Natalie Wood was OK as Maria. The only weak performer, in my opinion, as I've stated above, was Richard Beymer as Tony.

C) The story behind this great movie/musical was also a great resource which contributed greatly to this great movie classic's success.

D) Unlike most musicals when they get transferred from the stage to the screen, West Side Story, perhaps because of all of the above-mentioned factors, especially the stage sets--didn't get washed away in the outdoor scenery in the background the way most musicals, such as Oklahoma, Godspell, South Pacific, and most other movie musicals did.

West Side Story always makes me feel all different emotions whenever I watch the movie: smiling, laughing out loud, misting up, tension, which puts me at the edge of my seat.

Another thing about West Side Story is that there's definitely a strong element of truth to the MGM adage "Unlike other classics, West Side Story grows younger." I believe that's partly because, unlike other older classics, likeable as they are, West Side Story isn't dated--in fact it's as relevant today as it was back when it was made. Although West Side Story is fiction, in many ways it's closer to realilty. Things such as urban gang warfare, racial/ethnic tensions, and people crossing the racial/ethnic/religious barriers to fall in love, date, and even marry are things that get played out in real life, even now. To paraphrase a certain adage: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As a devout fan of the film West Side Story who has also seen a half dozen really good stage plays of this great musical, I savor this great musical from beginning to end. I've attended virtually every screening of the film West Side Story that has come to my area (the one exception being in mid-March 2001, when an afternoon screening of WSS conflicted directly with my late dad's memorial, so I didn't go that day), and I've also made road trips to neighboring states to see screenings of West Side Story.

(pardon my rambling)

[/b][/i]

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought you already made this thread before.

MdNs Most Likely to Become President (Superlatives ''''09)
Whatever that means???

I''VE ALWAYS BEEN A CHICAGO GIRL!!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

awww so what if this thread is already made before. so wssfan has a passion for west side story. i think it's pretty neat. personally i never seen this thread and right now i'm checking out west side story and i think i'm gonna rent it tonight .

i hate the decline of society thru the ages.... back in the day you had great movie musical movies like your my fair lady or your sound of music or west side story.. now the closest thing you have to a musical for the current generation that's new out in the theatres is "high school musical 3".

well i guess sweeney todd should deserve some credit.

but still. *shakes fist*

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Personally, I didn't like the movie at all.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:08 pm

awww so what if this thread is already made before. so wssfan has a passion for west side story. i think it's pretty neat. personally i never seen this thread and right now i'm checking out west side story and i think i'm gonna rent it tonight .

i hate the decline of society thru the ages.... back in the day you had great movie musical movies like your my fair lady or your sound of music or west side story.. now the closest thing you have to a musical for the current generation that's new out in the theatres is "high school musical 3".

but still. *shakes fist*

Have you heard of Mamma Mia? :wink:

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

satch wrote:

but still. *shakes fist*

Hairspray and Rent were in theatres too...not the best examples of movie musicals, but still.

Currently: Revamping my portfolio...SUNY Purchase Class of 2013!

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Brock07 wrote:
satch wrote:

but still. *shakes fist*

Hairspray and Rent were in theatres too...not the best examples of movie musicals, but still.

Then I'm curious about what makes Sweeney Todd special in that it deserves credit. I'm not bashing or anything, I'm just curious. Both Mamma Mia and Hairspray did much MUCH better commercially than Sweeney. Both were more mainstream and will be more enduring in our culture. With the exception of musical fanatics like us, people will look back on this time, as we do now to the 50s and 60s with West Side Story, Sound of Music, and Singin In The Rain, and see Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Chicago, and dare I say it, High School Musical.

So just curious.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Micaela? wrote:
Brock07 wrote:
satch wrote:

but still. *shakes fist*

Then I'm curious about what makes Sweeney Todd special in that it deserves credit. I'm not bashing or anything, I'm just curious. Both Mamma Mia and Hairspray did much MUCH better commercially than Sweeney. Both were more mainstream and will be more enduring in our culture. With the exception of musical fanatics like us, people will look back on this time, as we do now to the 50s and 60s with West Side Story, Sound of Music, and Singin In The Rain, and see Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Chicago, and dare I say it, High School Musical.

So just curious.

sorry but musicals like oklahoma/ my fair lady/ sound of music had a greater impact than musicals like mammia mia/ hairspray/rent would ever have. i guess it is because of the times... back in those days (50s/60s) you didnt have any other forms of entertainment. i mean.....my mom was telling me that when bye bye birdie ran on tv, everybody was talking about it at the lunch table the next day... i mean EVERYBODYYYYYYYY....... even people not even in theatre...... now these days you have video games , 500 plus channels, the internet.... so many distractions....

so in a way...yes.......... the increase in diff. types of medium has ruined a muscal's impact.

sorry...that's how i feel.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next