The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
West Side Story: A Review 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
Post West Side Story: A Review
So I saw West Side Story, the preview, last night at the National Theatre.

Overall: It was pretty good however it needs a LOT of work before it goes to Broadway. There were some technical problems, including one possible missed cue in the beginning by the Jets. The Spanish turned my sister off completely from the show forever, though. Personally, on the Spanish, it was only annoying when it came time for intense dialogues, especially when Chino is telling Maria about Tony killing Bernardo.

Matt Cavenaugh (Tony): He gave a convincing performance as Tony. However, his voice had so much vibrato, it almost got annoying at times. I thought of Jordan when I read the playbill, because he's an Ithaca college grad. He relied too much on his mic at times, it seemed.

Josephine Scaglione: My favorite Maria ever. She was SO convincing and her operatic trained voice was PERFECT. Her voice was so powerful it was overwhelming. She was always able to be heard.

(TBC - i gotta go now)

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The production photos on the website don't look that great. :\ It looks like some sort of High school production with a much larger budget.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Well ... I wouldn't say high school with a larger budget. I would say more a Broadway tour that had a fair amount of miscastings.

The costumes weren't horrible ... it was just staged wrong.

It seemed like it was too 'oh we're putting this in the future, but having 50s' costumes with them.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Come to think of it,
did anybody notice the little white dancing shoes on the Jets? They looked all wrong for this kind of musical.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:28 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The production photos on the website don't look that great. :\ It looks like some sort of High school production with a much larger budget.

That's true, step_together_step_touch. It's really too bad, because West Side Story, as a musical, is so incredibly special and in a class by itself. I'd hate to see it tank on Broadway because of that.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
Personally, I've never been too crazy on the bilingual idea. If you're gonna have it in two different languages, make two productions. :|

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:37 pm

Post Re: Come to think of it,
WSSfan wrote:
did anybody notice the little white dancing shoes on the Jets? They looked all wrong for this kind of musical.

I didn't notice them in the show, but on the pictures yeah.

Disney-Bway27 wrote:
Personally, I've never been too crazy on the bilingual idea. If you're gonna have it in two different languages, make two productions. :|

According to my sister, she noticed it seemed everyone in the audience tuned off during "I feel pretty" in Spanish. I personally liked it, but I heard the English in my head. The dialogue got annoying.

Any other questions about seeing the stage version?

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw the show New Years Eve. I was doing my best during the show not to fall asleep. They actors were boring, the show was slow and over all I was disappointed in all the songs that I have loved over the years. The show was much too vulgar both in words and actions, i.e. the scene of Tony climbing on Maria in bed. There were quite a few children in the audience, I would say 5 - 10 years old and older, and the sexual overtones were much too inappropriate throughout the entire show. I felt Tony was VERY poorly cast. He was not close to being believable as a “tough guy”. It would be like casting Clay Aiken as the Terminator! Just not believable. Nothing about the wardrobe reminded me of the ’50’s in NY. The rape scene was totally out of control. And, I must have missed the point, but having the young boy “Kiddo” singing “Somewhere” made no sense to me and ruined the song. It was like someone who worked on the show brought their kid with them and let him have fun on stage. Horrible. What did I like about it? Nothing. And I must say, I am pretty easy going and enjoy almost every show I see. As was previously mentioned, the "dancing shoes" the actors were wearing made them look like sissies, not tough guys. And, the bilingual dialog was very annoying. No subtitles anywhere if you didn't speak spanish! The show would not make it a week on Broadway (in my opinion!).

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:57 am

I saw the show New Years Eve. I was doing my best during the show not to fall asleep. They actors were boring, the show was slow and over all I was disappointed in all the songs that I have loved over the years. The show was much too vulgar both in words and actions, i.e. the scene of Tony climbing on Maria in bed. There were quite a few children in the audience, I would say 5 - 10 years old and older, and the sexual overtones were much too inappropriate throughout the entire show. I felt Tony was VERY poorly cast. He was not close to being believable as a “tough guy”. It would be like casting Clay Aiken as the Terminator! Just not believable. Nothing about the wardrobe reminded me of the ’50’s in NY. The rape scene was totally out of control. And, I must have missed the point, but having the young boy “Kiddo” singing “Somewhere” made no sense to me and ruined the song. It was like someone who worked on the show brought their kid with them and let him have fun on stage. Horrible. What did I like about it? Nothing. And I must say, I am pretty easy going and enjoy almost every show I see. As was previously mentioned, the "dancing shoes" the actors were wearing made them look like sissies, not tough guys. And, the bilingual dialog was very annoying. No subtitles anywhere if you didn't speak spanish! The show would not make it a week on Broadway (in my opinion!).

I actually thought it was cute and powerful "Kiddo" singing the song.

But I agree with the whole would not make a week on broadway - def. not.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
What a shame. West Side Story is an absolutely wonderful show with a deep storyline, beautiful music, and a tearjerking ending, and its revival fails on Broadway because it's looking to do something innovative.

Screw bilingual WSS. Bring back Sondheim's English lyrics dammit! :evil:

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:17 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

That would be a good idea too, Disney-Bway27. However, I don't think there's enough money for them to do a second Broadway production of WSS.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next