The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
West side story - "Cool" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
If it's such a terrible experience for you, why don't you stop watching it?

What the - the entire point of this topic was myself ranting about it. And I will continue to do so until the topic dies :P.

But I strongly disagree that 'Cool' "represents the world" in which it is "set", I mean, there are so many other aspects of WSS that I can see are this and would be cheesy if implemented in a modern story, however because I can recognise the context of the musical I don't mind it at all and it is not cheesy for me - the reason why I can't forgive/accept 'Cool' is it just seems ridiculous to be even appropriate for the 1950s, it has just taken a few years for it to become obvious. Maybe it's not so obvious considering the response to the song. And perhaps I am bias having never lived in the era.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:51 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

JIJane wrote:
West Side Story is one of the top 5 musicals ever written.

:?

It's the worst lyrics Sondheim's ever written.

Plus the show is now horribly dated.

To each their own, but I've loved West Side Story, both as a movie and as a stage play, ever since I got introduced to the music, and later, the film, many years ago, as a kid.

I also think that the Cool scene in WSS is a really strong scene. Tucker Smith did an excellent job at playing Ice and leading the "Cool' number. I love the dancing, music, story, cinematography, etc.., overall. I think that Richard Beymer plays a rather weak, lacklustre Tony, which is more than offset by the great performances of the other actors/actresses in this great film classic.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8