The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
I need help DECIDING!!!!!!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post I need help DECIDING!!!!!!!!
Hey guys! I have a dilemma. My high school is putting on WSS this year and my auditions are a week away. I cant decide whether I want to audition for Riff or Tony. I'm 6'2" 160 lbs., skinny, brown hair, green eyes, and caucasion. I'm in the tenor/ baritone range (best in the school) and i can dance pretty well. I have been in reality 2 musicals, but I have been pretty decent roles (Nicely Nicely in G+D and Kenickie in Grease).

I love Riff's character but I also love Tony's songs and the fact he's in both acts.

WHAT SHOULD I DO :?:

Last edited by ianp12 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well I think it depends a lot on who your competition is. You don't sound like a perfect fit for either, but I really wouldn't have any idea till I actually saw you audition. I guess if I had to say you seem like more of a Tony, but you could judge better.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I personally prefer Riff's character over Tony's, but it's up to you.

I'd actually say that it comes down to your singing and dancing abilities. Riff's usually a pretty heavy dance role, and if I remember correctly, his solo in "Cool" is sprinkled very generously with tritones, which can be tough to sing if you don't have great control of your voice. :?

Regardless of what you decide, break a leg! And if you don't get either role, and they just throw you in one of the gangs, take it, every character has their own personality. What set West Side Story apart form other musicals at the time was the fact that their ensemble characters were all unique characters, rather than just "the ensemble."

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]