The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
all about anita 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post all about anita
Everyone has their favourite character in West Side Story and mine just happens to be Anita. So I wanted to ask if Anita is anyone else's favourite character. What do you love about her? What is her character like for you?
If you've played Anita in any productions, how did you interpret the character?
I absolutely love Anita and want to know why you do too.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:14 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: all about anita
musicalmoi wrote:
If you've played Anita in any productions, how did you interpret the character?

I absolutely love Anita and want to know why you do too.

Anita is my dream role, and I got to play it several years ago in a very good semi-professional production. As a dancer-turned-musical theatre performer, I began dancing at a very early age. When I saw the "America" number in a dance revue show, the part really spoke to me, and I wanted to do it ever since.

Why do I love Anita? That's a good one... The role really plays to a lot of my strengths as a performer -- lots of dancing, low alto belt voice, dialects, sexy/sassy/comedic roles. It also stretched my acting to a more serious note with the "rape scene" and "A Boy like That."

My interpretation had, of course, lots of spunk and attitude (particularly in "America" and in my exchanges with Bernardo). I also played up her comedic side and made her very sympathetic to Maria's and Tony's relationship. She's like an older sister to Maria -- but more experienced in the "real world" and much more aware of the potential impact of the prejudice between the Americans and P.R.'s.

She's very much grounded in reality, yet hopeful that things can (and will) change. (In a way, she's a bit like Doc and the "Somewhere" soloist, but with a different approach to her actions.) I think that her approach sets the character up better for the drugstore scene at the end. She goes with an earnest desire to help Tony -- and leaves, not only seeing that prejudice still exists, but having her spirit broken by the Jets' attack on her -- which sets in motion the ending of the show.

I could go on and on about Anita. I did so much preparation for the role and LOVED playing her. I would definitely want to play her again, but I probably won't. It was one of those special theatre experiences that's much better preserved in memories.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:50 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm auditioning for Anita in 2 weeks with a youth production.

It is QUITE ironic seeing as I played Nickie in Sweet Charity whom Chita Riviera played in the film and she also played Anita in the film... maybe it's fate!

America..what a fab number. As long as I get to be in that I'm happy!

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
MademoiselleMusicals, I don't wanna kill hte dream or anything, but Rita Moreno played Anita in the film, not Chita Rivera. Chita did play Anita on stage, though.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

OKAY

I am mortified right now............

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]