The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What is better? Movie or Stage show? 

What is better...West Side story movie or Stage Show?
Movie!!! 49%  49%  [ 17 ]
stage show 51%  51%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 35

What is better? Movie or Stage show? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
the film version of "America: is a vast improvement over the stage version of the song..having it be between bernardo and anita makes much more sense.and this version is used in most pro stage versions now. and Chakaris as Bernardo is damned sexy!.

over all i love both versions..as it was stated earlier they are different animals.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:47 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, it has the song, but it cuts out the whole section where Maria and Anita are singing counterpoint.

So my mother was right then... But that's weird, cuz I have the song on my computer, downloaded from Kazaa and I would swear that it is the track from the movie, but it has the counterpart... Hmm, perhaps I'm wrong.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I dont know, you just fall in love with actors

as i am in love with the guy who plays bernardo *swoons*

Quote:
I just find the movie really dated. Dated and camp. How it won 11 Academy Awards (putting it on par with "Titanic" and "The Return of the King") is completely beyond me.

lol, i adore west side story. but it just can't compare to RotK. I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan..as you can see from my sig..I cry at both movies! :lol: but still..not as good as RotK

Rosie-Bye Bye Birdie
Sally-You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Nellie-South Pacific
Mishkin-Fools

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

(They won't even let Anita say "He's hot" or Riff say "If the spit hits the fan." This may be news to them, but there are much worse words out there.)

... and because Maria wasn't allowed to sing "and I pity any girl who isn't me tonight!" ("What are they doing at night? They won't have sex, will they?") she sings "I feel pretty and whitty and GAY" - her friends standing around her - I like that mistake.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: Metairie (outside New Orleans), Louisiana, United States
I think "Cool" feels horribly awkward where it is in the movie. That just doesn't seem like the right place for a big ensemble dance number.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I love the movie but I also like the stage version better. I tend to find this true with all musicals. There is just something about being there live, seeing the dancing, hearing the singing, lol and in the case of the productio my brother was in....seeing the gun not go off when Chino shoots Tony.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:06 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Stage vs Film
The film is brilliantly structured but I'm not a fan of most of the cast or of their performances. For me, part of the wonder of West Side Story is watching the synthesis of dancer, actor and singer in one person. And the dubbing of just about everyone in the cast ruins that part of experiencing this narrative. I also feel that the dubbed voices are rather bland and don't seem particularly well acted. This is particularly problematic in the characterisation of Maria and Tony, both of whom have remarkable developments in character embedded in the score.

The stage is a very difficult show to pull off because it demands so much from its performers. But if the right cast works on the project with an insightful directing and choreographic team - well, it's just magic. So I guess I prefer the stage show overall.

Later days
David

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I love both the movie and stage show... but since I was in the show itself I'm more biased towards it...
Nothing, in my opinion, beats live theatre. I agree with RainbowJude, it's a hard show because it demands a lot from the performers. Most of my friends were in the show, two of which had the leads - Maria and Tony, and they went through so much to bring out the best performances.
Especially my friend who played Tony. He had to work on expression, and everything, but he was amazing. Our opening night, he comes back from singing 'Something's Coming' and he was completely overwhelmed by the audience's reaction.

I had a pretty important part, so I too had to go through a lot of work to make sure I gave a great performance. Doc isn't really the easiest character to play and it's hard because you don't want to come across as trying to copy the film.

I love the movie too, it's just so good for a movie musical.... but the stage version will always be better... like in the case of Rent.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:04 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Regardless of which one's better, I'm just happy they HAVE a movie version for those of us who can't afford to go see it.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:12 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Can someone please explain to me why in a vote between the movie and show there is only a box to tick for the movie. Not exactly suprising that it has 100% of the vote.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:44 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Beagle On Stage wrote:
(They won't even let Anita say "He's hot" or Riff say "If the spit hits the fan." This may be news to them, but there are much worse words out there.)

... and because Maria wasn't allowed to sing "and I pity any girl who isn't me tonight!" ("What are they doing at night? They won't have sex, will they?") she sings "I feel pretty and whitty and GAY" - her friends standing around her - I like that mistake.

I think you misunderstand the reason for the change. In the show the song is sung late at night after the rumble. In the film it is sung musch earlier just as the shop is going to shut. That is the reason the words were changed. Plus at that time the word gay only meant happy.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Stage show. I just saw it last month, and the ballet...

You just can't compare a movie with it's musical. There are things you can do with film that you can't do on stage, and vice versa. Such as the ballet, as they obviously decided. My two cents.

-Tani

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next