The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Puerto Rican accent? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Post Puerto Rican accent?
I am hopefully going to audition for West Side Story soon and i was wondering wether anybody could give me any tips on how to do the puerto rican accent? i want to try and get it as real sounding as possible! Thanks!xxx

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:05 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My tip- Don't ask advice for things such as that on a message board where you don't know anyone's ability. Contact a director you trust in your area and ask him/her for the names of someone you can meet IN PERSON to learn the Puerto Rican dialect. If you listen to the majority of the people here, you'll end up with a generic and bad hispanic dialect. And there is a difference. If you can't learn it by the time auditions come around, DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!! There is nothing worse than a bad dialect or accent...

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:42 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

three words. DAVID ALLEN STERN. get some of his tapes for dialects. if u need a really specialized one, he does ones with lonng segments that really teach you the dialect.

Fri May 25, 2007 6:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree with the David Allan Stern recommendation.

But here's some basic things:
- don't let your "s" sound turn into a "z". We say "it iZ 3:00". They really say the s and say "it iss 3:00"
- roll your rrr's
- v's sound almost like b's. "victoria" would sound almost like "bictoria"
- i don't think the "i" noise as in "it" or "in" is really used. it would sound more like "ee". so "begin" would sound more like "begeen"

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:46 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

How do you roll your R's? Thats the only bit of the accent I cant really get but I've got a while until my audition so I'm hoping I can learn.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Your best bet is to get a dialect coach and listen to a native speaker. I would not recommend David Allen Stern, though. His tapes tend to sound "stereotypical," rather than authentic. And the movie isn't a good source, either -- even though Rita Moreno is Puerto Rican.

A few tips... You don't always roll your r's in Puerto Rican. Sometimes they're hard r's and sometimes rolled. It's a "dental" accent, so keep the pronuncation of everything very forward and, whenever possible, place your tongue right behind your front teeth.

It was touch for me to master, because I speak French and I tended to sound more French than Spanish when I first started. It takes practice, but you can get it.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

:cry: I'm in trouble if I ever do WSS, I can't roll my tongue...I was born tongue tied.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:35 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
^ lol same here! i can't curl my tongue either!

:roll:

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post puerto rican accent
say "ch" for "y" at the beginning of words

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]