The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Questions about Lt. Schrank 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Questions about Lt. Schrank
Hey all,

Yesterday I was cast as Lt. Schrank, but I know virtually nothing about the character. Could someone please tell me -

-what does he look like?

-what is his accent/voice?

-does he have many lines?

-is he a significant character?

I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Harrison

Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In this production, he looks like you. 8)

He's a cop. He's kind of a jerk, and a bit racist. He's older than the majority of the cast. He has a several scenes with lines. He's a supporting character. He doesn't sing or dance, but advances the story through his actions.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:28 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
He is the Prince Escalus character if you are comparin R&J and WSS.

its good supporting role. the person above gave you his personality details. tery to make him a realc person though..not just a ------/racist cop.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

He's not supposed to be dressed up like a cop, he's more of a "plainclothesman". He probably wears like a suit and looks older compared to the other characters.

-what is his accent/voice?
He has kind of that obnoxious New York accent. Watch the movie if you want a good example. Our Schrank is using that. For example, instead of the "PR's", he says the "Pahhs".

-does he have many lines?
Everytime he's on stage, he has monologues. Just continuous blocks of dialogue. He first comes on after the prologue. Then he comes on after "Cool." Lastly, he comes on in Act 2 after "A Boy Like That/I Have Love" to question Maria about the murders. He appears in the end but has no lines.

-is he a significant character?
Like the poster above me said, he's like the Prince in Romeo and Juliet. He tries to keep order. Although the adult parts aren't as big as the teenager parts in this show, he's probably the biggest adult part.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He also is for the Jets. He even tries to get "in" on the rumble.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post No, Lt. Schrank is NOT really for the Jets, on the long run
jcstar wrote:
He also is for the Jets. He even tries to get "in" on the rumble.

Andy.

Hmmmm...that's debatable, Andy. Lt. Schrank starts out being for the Jets ("I'll even lend a hand if things get rough"), but when the Jets refuse to disclose to Lt. Schrank the whereabouts of the rumble, Schrank immediately makes an about-face and begins to insult the Jets in reference to their ethnic/immigrant backgrounds ("Why don't you get smart, you stupid hooligans? I oughta take you to the stationhouse and throw you in the can right now! You and that tin-horn immigrant scum ya come from! How's your old man's D. T's, A-Rab? How's the action on your mother's side of the street, Action?"), clearly indicating that he doesn't like the Jets much more than he likes the Sharks. Lt. Schrank then promises the Jets and Sharks: "I'll find out where you're gonna rumble! But be sure to finish each other off! 'Cause if ya don't, I will!" Later, when Schrank berates Doc about how he thinks 'understanding them" is a lot of nonsense ("Oh, yeah, understand them! That's what they keep telling me down at headquarters--understand them. Well...you try keeping hoodlums in line and see what it does to you! and then angrily slams out of the store.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]