The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Difficulty Level 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

WSS is quite hard musically because it requires beautiful legit voices for the two leads- maria needs a high C and tony needs a high B flat!

I'll agree to you about Maria and the high C, but Tony doesn't need the high B flat. I took a look at the actual vocal score, and in "Maria," he can do one of two things. He can just hold out that B flat, or he can do some riffs that only co up to a high A. If you wanna hear it, listen to the guy on the original cast album. I'll admit the B flat probably sounds better, but it's not necessary.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Difficult level
"However the music can be challenging for a pit orchestra to play, so also take that in to consideration."

SO TRUE!! I was just accepted into a the pit orchestra for West Side Story in a community theater group. We have the rented MTI version so it is different then Bernstein's original, but in a sense, relatively the same. The score is somewhat confusing because the difficulty varies hugely. For example, I Feel Pretty is a relatively easy song (at least for the cello part) and could probably be pulled off by a teenager, but in other songs (the rumble, cool, america) it gets pretty intense and goes up to professional level music. So it can be a challenge to play it. And not only play it, but play it WELL! Im going into 9th grade and have been practicing the cello music for months and just perfected everything just last week and the performances are this week. So it does take a lot of effort to put together. I think that will be a big challenge if you decide to put on a production of WSS. BUT DO IT!! The show is amazing and totally worth it!!

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2