The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
What Role Is For Me? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post What Role Is For Me?
Hi, im kinda new, and i know that WSS is going to have auditions in my tows soon. im about 5'1-5'1.5 (i thought i was 5'2) and have slightly darker skin (In from Spain) green eyes, and dark brown hair. I am of an average weight.
my vocal range is Tenor-1st soprano(sort of). ive been taking dance since age 5 and im 15 now. Who do you think i should go for?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

well, if this is like a high school or a youth production, i'd say go for anita because she doesn't go as high as maria and she is a good dancer. but if it's like a community thing then that might not work because anita is an older character, like in her 20s or so. you could even maybe go for rosalia, she is one of the sharks' girls and she gets to sing a little bit in "america." even if you don't get a part, this show is really fun to be in the chorus (aka playing a sharks' girl or a jets' girl) good luck! :wink:

:mrgreen:

Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Tenor is a term for a male singing voice... I assume that you are female, therefore the Soprano term fits here.

Since you say that you're a Soprano, you might just be able to pull Maria off. She does has some really high notes though. Otherwise you should try Anita, she sings Alto.

By the discription you gave, I can definitely picture you as one of the Puerto Ricans.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

If you are 1st Soprano then Maria would most likely be the vocal range. With your dancing experience you could play a shark girl. Maria does not do much dancing.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:08 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

yah, i got anita with a maria understudy...im pretty stoked

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
That's Great! congrats. I would love to play Anita and Maria :D I was actually just helping a friend with an audition for Anita and singing all night! Break a leg!

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Tagging onto the end of this, I've got an audition for WSS in July and still can't decide who to audition for. I know its not for a while but I want a while to work on accents.
It's with a youth company, all under 18, I'm 16 with dark hair and dark eyesbut I'm kinda pale. I sing top soprano and can reach Maria's notes. I can't really dance though and I'm not exactly skinny. ATM I'd like to go for Maria but any oppinions greatly recieved.[/quote]

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]