The Resource For Musicals

Tommy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
This show came out the year I was born/Question! 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post This show came out the year I was born/Question!
I love it when one of my favorite shows came out the year I was born! I've only seen the movie. So can some of you tell me if the show is like the movie at all?

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
The show and the movie are completely different animals, but I'll leave it to someone else to explain in detail.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Film: Directed by Ken Russell. 1975. Starred: The Who, Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, Kieth Moon, Anne-Margret, Oliver Reed, Jack Nicholson, Elton John, Paul Nicholas, Eric Clapton, Tina Turner.
Soundtrack on Polydor Records. The Overture from Tommy was released as a single in 1975 and was not on the original record. The CD release has restored the Overture and added some additional material not on the original vinyl release. The soundtrack was a success, the film bombed.

The film has Tommy's father (Robert Powell) murdered by the Lover, Frank (Oliver Reed). There is a good argument for this. From Young Tommy's point of view, Frank is the only father he's ever known -surrogate or not. The film then takes the shape of Townshend's original plot... with a few tweaks here and there. Several new songs were written. None of them appear in the stage version.

Stage: Broadway 1993. Directed by Des McAnnuff. Cast consisted of Michael Cerveris, Paul Kandall and others. Wonn several Tony Awards. One for Pete Townshend.
The ploot stays true to the original Who record, but expands the plot a little. The story is loosely based on Townshend's own life. In the stage version, the "sacrifice" is switched back to the father killing the lover.

New material was written (The Overture is now 8 minutes long). New songs: "I Believe My Own Eyes" for the parents and "Sally's Questyion" is for Sally Simpson seeking answers from her idol, Tommy.

You should see both.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]