The Resource For Musicals

Aspects of Love Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Aspects as a screenplay? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Aspects as a screenplay?
Hi folks,

On rewatch of The Story of Musicals - I was wondering...

Would Aspects work on film?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Michael Ball!
Main Role: Producer
Post Re: Aspects as a screenplay?
I've often wondered this. I think that if it were made into a film I would be pretty excited to see it. I've always wanted to actually see Alex (preferably played by Michael Ball) in the opening scene at the train station, pacing around, thinking over his live and reasoning that "Love Changes Everything". I'd like to see the french countryside and the house where Alex and Rose fall in love. The circus scene would be nice to see as well as "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice". One plus of a film production would be that most likely we would get updated orchestrations for a large symphony orchestra, which is what I've always wanted to hear in Aspects given how good a large orchestra sounds for Love Changes Everything. The only thing about it being on film is that it would probably be an independant production as I imagine Aspects wouldn't attract a wide audience. That might hinder the quality of the visuals but at least it's something. I also wouldn't be opposed to filming a stage production of Aspects. That too would be most satisfactory for one of my favorite ALW scores.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
the original intent was for it to be a musical film.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The medium of musical film is dying, so I would welcome any film adapt of a stage musical. However, I worry that AOL is not well-known enough to warrant a film version, so it probably won't happen. I mean, look how bad the Jersey Boys film was versus how well-loved and famous the stage show is.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
I've tried writing it, but it didn't end well; I last attempted working on this in Sept. 2011, and if I return to it, it'll be a long while before it gets done. However, I did figure out in my abortive attempt at an Aspects screenplay what would be necessary for adaptation: one of the most criticized elements is the recitative. My thoughts were, go back to the libretto for your mis-en-scene, turn the recitative into dialogue (bolstered by material from the original novel), leave the main numbers intact, and voila, a torrid romance that novelists like Danielle Steel or Mary Higgins Clark would die for. (Okay, maybe not die for, but sign a fraudulent check or two.)

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]