The Resource For Musicals

Titanic Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Titanic Discussion 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Titanic Discussion
Greetings all... Titanic seems to be headed to our theater, possibly in the next season... I'd like to hear about your experinces, maybe even see some pictures etc. As we look at our unique stage, I am looking for any ideas that I can borrow from to make our set/production aspects as Titanic as possible.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post TITANIC Discussion
I think you will find a great deal of the kind of thing you're looking for if you read through the threads here on the Titanic board. It would be great to see what you have to add to any of those discussions as you prepare for your production. All the best; I hope it goes well.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Titanic Discussion
Thanks.. I did review the thead. Unfortunatly, it did not have a lot of relevant items to the set design and technical issues. Just hoping someone might have something to add. Thanks again

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Titanic, everything Sondheim
Main Role: Performer
Hi Marty!

I did a production of Titanic this past spring, though our stage is a fairly standard procenium arch set up, the only semi-odd thing being that the auditorium itself is stadium seating, so the first row is flush with the stage as opposed to the stage being raised above the audience. The biggest challenge we had was a ridiculous lack of wing/fly space, by which I mean, we had no fly space at all, and very limited wing space.

The set was modelled heavily off the original Broadway - basically a two-story, forty-foot structur meant to represent both the deck of the ship and certain rooms in the interior (in our case we had the 1st class smoking room and the marconi room under the main deck). It had seven front panels that could be removed/replaced depending on whether we needed one of the rooms below to be open. That was the main body of the set and it remained onstage the entire show; the mid-stage blacks were pulled across any time we were anywhere else 'in' the ship. Everything else - the two dining saloons, the bridge, the crows next and the "corridor" that's used in "Wake Up, Wake Up", were seperate set pieces that could be wheeled on and off as needed.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to tilt the ship for the sinking, though this was our original intention (the technical guy we hired to do this completely screwed us on this point).

Here are a couple pictures if you're curious:

So, this is the main set piece in fully closed position (this is the closing, full cast. As you can see there are quite a lot of us, so this was an issue too, space-wise)

Here is the set up for the "No Moon" sequence. It's hard to see, but the panels are off of the smoke room, since it's used later in the scene. The Bridge is on the left as you look, the crow's nest on the right. All of these rolled on and off.

Smoke room, with the panels off. Space and lighting were something we had to work out once we got in the theatre, but it was an reletively easy adjustment.

Aaand the radio room lastly. Again, space was an adjustment, but we allowed the actors (especially during the blame) to step out of the room so they weren't so squished.

Hope that helps or is at least somewhat interesting! :)

Johanna - Sweeney Todd
Kate McGowan - Titanic: The Musical

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I agree this could be a great place to discuss it, however, most of the previous posts under Titanic discuss peoples role desires, favorite actor, whether or not they like the music, etc. very little practical production information so far, but I'm still hopefull that we might get some more discusison on this thread. Thanks again kitness for your contribution.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I love it!!! :)

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]