The Resource For Musicals

Titanic Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The sinking 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

yes - i agree ----- the set is on hydraulics and slants to one side during the sinking - and looks really effective......

Yes, the two-storey stage wide platform slants to one end of the stage with ensemble members on the top level clinging to the railings, each other etc... Mr Andrews sings his solo part on the lower deck as the stage starts to tilt and things in his room start to glide across the 'room'.

Once it is tilted to the maximum angle, there's a backdrop behind the set which is pulled upwards really fast which creates the effect of the ship going down. And suddenly a black drop is pulled up in front of the set and the scene changes to the survivors' song on Carpathia.

Doesn't sound that impressive but it actually was!

edit: That's the way they did it on Broadway... don't know about later productions...

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

There's a video clip on youtube of a Japanese production in which the set tilts downstage. Lemme try to find it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HWRQopA ... re=related
They show it at about 4:30. The girl playing Kate in this video is very pretty.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Hello
They have done great sinking work .... they have done lots of work outs for that...

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="what_the_heck013"]There's a video clip on youtube of a Japanese production in which the set tilts downstage. Lemme try to find it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HWRQopA ... re=related
They show it at about 4:30. The girl playing Kate in this video is very pretty.[/quote]

That Japanese version 'sinking' doesn't work quite as well as the side-slant. I mean the rearstage lifts up; then it drops THUD. So what??

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I actually just finished the show this past weekend and it is phenomenal. Our entire stage layout was as such: we built the bow of the ship to extend into the audience, the cool feature we built with the bow is that we split it down the middle so it could be separated during the song "To the Lifeboats," we installed two cranks that made a cool ratchet sound when me and another guy cranked the stage apart which gave the impression that we were lowering the lifeboats, we cranked the bow until it was split into a line showing the side of parts of the bow to the audience, then on stage we had built a wooden platform and put in two motors in the ceiling with steel cable attached to the wooden platform so when Andrews sang his song he sang down stage right in front of a scrim we lowered before his song, while he sang we set up the LED lights to perform different effects while there were about 7 people on the wooden platform while it was raising into the air, earlier also we put in metal railing into the platform so when they are falling they hold onto the railings so it actually seems as if though they are falling more than 250 ft. haha. Finally near the end of the song there is only one person on the platform hanging on at the very top and by this time the platform is raised all the way to the ceiling, so he starts sliding grabbing onto the next railing next the next until he too finally falls into the cold, unforgiving water below him.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: The sinking
This brings me to a very interesting story ...

Three years ago I was in this production, and honestly it was one of the best shows I have ever done. Our set was two-storied: in the back, it looked like two stories of the deck of the ship. On either side, there were large and high platforms. Stage left was the control room. In the middle of the stage was a standard platform which would later be used in the sinking scene.

On dress rehearsal night, the platform began to sink during Mr. Andrew's Vision. It was lifted up by a chain to achieve the angle. However, the weight of those still on the platform was too great, and the chain snapped! The platform fell several feet, but the young man who was playing Mr. Andrews (it should be noted that the cast of this production was 21 and under) literally did not miss a note. He was at the peak of the platform's height and fell the farthest, but he did not waver. It was as if he had not just had the floor fall out from under him! The amusing part was that the audience thought that this accident was supposed to happen! After all, it did happen in the original sinking of the Titanic. There were a few injuries to the stagehands. A sprained wrist, a nearly broken nose, and a strained back all resulted from the snapping of the chain. Needless to say, on opening night and for the duration of the weekend, they used hydraulics.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Post Re: The sinking
I think this is a topic that deserves to be revisited often, so I'll supply the link above; it's no longer working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFDBi6JXvc&feature=related
^The actual sinking is in like, the last 30 seconds or so.

Is that how it's usually done? How was it done in the original Broadway production?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2