The Resource For Musicals

Titanic Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Director troubles 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Director troubles
I'm hoping to audition for a production of Titanic with a local community theatre this summer. The problem is, a friend who's been in several of their shows before tells me that most of what they do is done by a director who is notorious for adding roles that aren't in the script at the last minute (largely to create parts for his friends and family), actually rewriting parts of the script to accommodate the new roles, and making people randomly switch roles unannounced DURING the performance period on a moment's notice.

Any idea how to find out if this is, in fact, true, and what to do about it? I'm tempted to rat him out to Tams-Witmark (because what he's apparently doing is BLATANTLY illegal), but then I know I'd be blacklisted from the theatre for life. Any idea how to keep him honest without jeopardizing my chance to be in the show, or should I just pass on this one?

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Director troubles
What you need to ask yourself is how much you want to do this show. If it's one of your favorites and you don't think you'll get a chance to do it again, then go for it. But of you do, then there's no way you can turn him in. On the other hand, if you decide not to do the show, then ABSOLUTELY contact Tams-Witmark. I personally don't think you'll get in trouble; when I was in High School Musical, our director made the Ms. Darbus role a man and someone contacted MTI and we got a Cease and Desist order. My point is the person who blew the whistle on us didn't get in trouble, so I doubt you will.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm torn. I'm really dying to be in Titanic and don't think I'll have another chance (at least not anytime soon), but if this director's anything like his reputation, chances are it won't really be Titanic anymore. For all I know, he'll put in Jack and Rose from the movie or some crazy thing like that--at the very least, he's bound to mess with characters and songs. Now, it sounds like there's a lot of infighting in this particular organization, and nobody really gets along with anybody else. There do seem to be other people who disagree with his practices and are trying to protect the integrity of the show, but it's hard for them to do much because he (apparently) co-owns the theater building itself. Supposedly, there's another lady who's also vying to direct Titanic, and she wants to do it right, but right now it doesn't sound like the theater will let her do it. I've also heard that during a previous show, the entire cast got together and threatened to walk out on this same director because he was tampering with the scripts. No idea if it did any good, though.

I'm hearing all of this second- or third-hand, so I can't be absolutely sure my sources are reliable, but this is how it sounds to me, anyway.

Incidentally, I actually own an illustrated, published edition of the complete script and lyrics (complete with front-matter essays by Peter Stone and Maury Yeston), and I'm thinking of making photocopies of this script and distributing them to the cast so that they can compare them with what the director's giving them and at least KNOW when the script is being changed on them. Then, perhaps we could make a pact as a group to all walk out of the show if the director starts tampering with the materials. Just a thought.

Oh, and apparently this director isn't very friendly to people who are autistic (which I am, although it's not always obvious), and I'm afraid he might not even cast me if he figured out.

What to make of all of this? It's clear that this director is a real jerk, and if I wasn't so in love with the show, I certainly wouldn't work with him. However, this is probably my only chance to do Titanic, as it doesn't get done often at the community theatre level, so that being said, is there anything that I can do as an actor to keep him from tampering with the show AND still get to be in it as well?

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It sounds like you really want to do it, but if you do, it sounds like the odds will be against you (even if you keep your mouth shut). Let me ask you one more question: Is your love for the show enough to justify doing it? Because if it were me, I'd rather sacrifice a chance to do a favorite show and feel regret than go through with it and be miserable the whole time (which is what it sounds like will happen).

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just really having fun reading your comments here..

This is really a so called THROWBACK :-D

Really loved the movie..

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]