The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Different Lovetts: Which One is the Best? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Post Different Lovetts: Which One is the Best?
I was thinking, much like the Beedle, there are several different ways to play Lovett. There's Lansbury's silly but heartless Lovett who'd do anything to win Sweeney's heart, even kill. There's revival Lovett (It's pretty much the same characterization for each actress who's played the character in the revival...so LuPone and Kaye) who's far less silly, but still has the wicked sense of humour and cold heartlessness. She's also more sensual, her desire for Todd perhaps more sexual than Lansbury's. HBC's Lovett is more reserved, she quietly pines for Sweeney but is not as cold hearted as the others...she hshows genuine affection and protectivenes towards Toby. And there are several other variations done by other actresses that I haven't seen yet. Personalyl, I loved Judy Kye's revival Lovett.

Waht do you guys like in your Lovett?

Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:40 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Out of all of the Lovett interpretations I've seen, I'm rather partial to Concert LuPone. It's (from what I've seen) not quite as dark as the Revival!Lovett, but still a darker interpretation. The second on my list is Lansbury's silly Lovett. I just really love how seemingly random her train of thought is and how... bouncy she is...

I will also admit to liking the movie!Lovett, but NOT ON STAGE. It'd be... crap. The movie!Lovett is very good in the movie, and up close; but the subtleties would be lost on a stage, where subtleties aren’t quite as subtle as real life. She's a quiet Lovett, and that just wouldn't work on stage.
None the less, I still like her.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:26 am

Main Role: Performer
Lansbury's Lovett is perfection. she hides her deviousness and evil plans behind love and affection. Beth Fowler..who everyone seems to forget , from the first revival.Fowler was far better than LuPone's misguded performance.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I like HBC's Lovett. I don't know. It's just easier for me to actually like her character.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 am
Profile WWW

you arent suppossed to like Lovett in the end,you should hate her.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I still love her by the end... yeah she did a bad thing, but hey, no one's perfect! :wink:

As I've said before, there have been aspects I've loved about every portrayal of Mrs Lovett that I've seen. Lansbury will always be my favourite I think as I have always imagined Lovett to be a batty middle-aged woman, desperate for a bit of company. I have also fallen in love with HBC's Lovett though - I like the fact that she's a bit younger, more caring and it makes her unrequited love for Todd seem even more unfair.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Same reasons I like HBC's Lovett

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I agree that HBCs carter is good but wouldn't work at all on stage.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto

Well, it all depends on the Lovett you see. It's really hard to totally hate HBC's Lovett. Whether she portrayed the character correctly or not is up to individual opinion but I'm sure we can all agree that she took a different, fresh approach to the character...that being said, I really prefer (as I mentioned before) the idea of a sensual Lovett, one who's desire for Todd is more sexual than anything else, one who is still cold, calculating, and evil, yet still holds Lovett's signature wicked sense of humour. As I much as I loved Lansbury's performance (I do liek that her her Lovett was lovably evil), I have to say, Judy Kaye's revival performance was my favourite, but I just like the 2005 revival Lovett in general regardless of the actor.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

People can hate or like whatever characters they want. I always end up hating half of the characters I should love in Bollywood movies and liking most of the ones I should hate; it's just personal taste.

Honestly, I didn't hate Lovett at the end. She's probably my favorite character in the musical.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:52 am
Profile WWW

dont get me wrong..she is my favorite chracter in teh show too..but you dont like her..she set the whol;e thing up..sets sweeeny up for revenge...sets herself up to marry him..conceals lucy's fate from him. she is lady macbeth.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

dont get me wrong..she is my favorite chracter in teh show too..but you dont like her..she set the whol;e thing up..sets sweeeny up for revenge...sets herself up to marry him..conceals lucy's fate from him. she is lady macbeth.

I know what you're saying, but I honestly, truly like her. Technically I shouldn't, but I do.

And I don't care for Lady Macbeth. Love it when a great actress plays her, but the character is not my personal favorite. I prefer Mr. Macbeth.

EDIT: DON'T care. Mixing up my tenses.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next