The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Sweeny Todd age concerns. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Sweeny Todd age concerns.
Hello.

I am new here, and I registered to ask a specific question. A local theater group is putting on a production of Sweeny Todd, And I have taken interest in auditioning. I have been told that I would make a good Mr. Todd. I have a good singing voice, and I think i would be able to act the part without too much trouble, but the problem is that I am WAY younger than the character is supposed to be. I have tried singing along with the songs from the show and found that I sound good singing them but I am worried that I will be ruled out due to my age. I want to participate in this show, but I don't think that I would do well in any other role. What should I do. And also, what song should I audition with?

Thank you for your help

Eiiden.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Sweeny Todd age concerns.
First of all, have you worked with this theater group before? Do you know if they typically draw in enough talent that is in Sweeney Todd's age range that it isn't worth you trying for the part? If you can sing and act the part convincingly, then your age shouldn't be an issue. Then again, I don't know how old you are haha so knowing that would help. Depending on the theater group, an experienced actor in his 30s can pull off Sweeney.

As for audition song help, I recommend that if no one can help you here, repost in the audition forum and see if you get more takers. Also search that forum for past song suggestions for the show! I'd recommend auditioning with something from another Sondheim show (assuming the theater's audition accompanist is a capable pianist, which he/she should be) that shows your darker side. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've never been very good at suggesting songs for men!

Also, welcome!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Sweeny Todd age concerns.
In my production, our Sweeney was 28 and he was sensational.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]