The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Is the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" a valuable addition? 

Is the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" a valuable addition to SWEENEY TOOD?
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Is the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" a valuable addition? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Is the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" a valuable addition?
In Finishing the Chat, Sondheim says that during the original production there was a problem in that the audience never had a moment where they collectively realised that the Beggar Woman was Lucy:
On p.373 of Finishing the Chat, Stephen Sondheim wrote:
To my dismay, I fond that some members of the audience, whether clued in by the music or not, were way ahead of the twist... whereas others figured it out when Sweeney kills the Beggar Woman... others not until the moment at the end of the show when Sweeney realises who she is (the ideal moment), and others not at all.

After consulting with Peter Shaffer, Sondheim decided to write the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" for the show when it premiered in London, which he felt solved the problem by letting 'the audience be a step ahead of Sweeney', instead of fighting for 'the authors being a step ahead of the audience'.

So, who thinks it was the right choice? Who doesn't? And why do you feel the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" should or shouldn't be included in the show?

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Is the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" a valuable addition?
RainbowJude wrote:
So, who thinks it was the right choice? Who doesn't? And why do you feel the "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" should or shouldn't be included in the show?

I don't think the Lullaby solves the problem, as I think the audience will get it at different times no matter what. It's because people read things differently.

But I think it was a noble attept, and that the new purpose is betterm as it at least recognises the intelligence of the ones who get it rapidly anyway. I also think it's a hauntingly beautilful piece of music, and it's among those many, many fragments of songs I wish Sondheim had completed, if only for having the opportunity to hearing it in a concert version.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
I think it's a good solution. The people who have already figured it out know, and if there are audience members who don't, hopefully this piece gets them on board in time for the killing.

Of course, many productions disguise their Beggar Woman so poorly in "Poor Thing" that audiences recognize her immediately.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ActingDude17 wrote:
Of course, many productions disguise their Beggar Woman so poorly in "Poor Thing" that audiences recognize her immediately.

The playbill for the Norwegian production ridiculously mentioned the actress as "Beggar Woman/Lucy, Sweeney Todd's wife". Talk about missing the point of surprise completely ](*,)

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]