The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Revised Lyrics in "A Little Priest" 

Which lyrics for "A Little Priest" do you prefer?
I prefer both original lyrics. 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
I prefer the original version of the first lyric, but the revised version of the second. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I prefer the revised version of the first lyric, but the original version of the second. 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
I prefer both revised lyrics. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Revised Lyrics in "A Little Priest" 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Revised Lyrics in "A Little Priest"
In Finshing the Hat (pp.360-361), Sondheim mentions two lyrics in "A Little Priest" with which he finds fault. One he has left untouched and one he altered for the 2007 revival of the show. What would your choices be in each case.

First Lyric

Original lyric: 'Last one really sold / Wasn't quite so old.'
Sondheim's idea for a revision: 'Last one that we sold / Wasn't quite so old.'

Second Lyric

Original lyric: 'No, we'll serve anyone / Meaning anyone - / And to anyone / At all.'
Sondheim's revised lyric: 'No, we'll serve anyone / We'll serve anyone - / And to anyone / At all.'

What are your thoughts? Which versions of the lyrics do you like best? Why do they work for you?

Last edited by RainbowJude on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Revised Lyrics in "A Little Priest"
I don't see anything wtong with the original variants nor the suggested replacement. I wouldn't mind if the originals were kept or the new alteratives used.

But aren't there further alternatives in the productions where LuPone plays Lovett? Something along the lines of "Last one never sold, maybe it was old?"? I don't mind that variant either.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 am

Hans wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the original variants nor the suggested replacement. I wouldn't mind if the originals were kept or the new alternatives used.

I prefer the revised version of the first lyric, but the original version of the second. I don't think the original lyric in the first example sits as well on the music and I don't think it is as clear or as sharp as the other lyrics in the song. In the second example, I think the opposite of what Sondheim feels is true: the original lyrics further texture to the thought and intensifies it, while having Mrs Lovett merely repeating the line feels like an empty filler.

Hans wrote:
But aren't there further alternatives in the productions where LuPone plays Lovett? Something along the lines of "Last one never sold, maybe it was old?"? I don't mind that variant either.

When I read this, I thought it might be interesting to sit with Finishing the Hat and various recordings of Sweeney Todd and see what's what. I'll start a new thread about this soon, but the lyric sung in the concert is 'Never really sold / Maybe it was old', which is, like the revised version Sondheim offers in Finishing the Chat, a better option as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Revised Lyrics in "A Little Priest"
This is a little off-topic, but I notice that in the West Side Story chapter, he managed to focus on lyric changes made for the film. He did make a few for the Sweeney film that weren't cuts ("Poor Thing" limits the amount of people focused on Benjamin Barker's wife, replacing the "Beadle"/"needle"/"wheedle" verse with "There was this Judge, you see, / Wanted her like mad. / Every day he'd send her a flower, / But did she come down from her tower? / Sat up there and sobbed by the hour, / Poor fool"), and yet he didn't include them in that chapter when he managed to include a couple of snippets of "how I'd rewrite 'A Little Priest' now" and even "lyrics I wrote for the MTI Student Edition." Why do you suppose this is?

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

I think it is a mistake on Sondheim's part. The book is rife with inconsistencies like that and he included the movie lyrics for A Little Night Music, so why not these? I think a more dedicated editor was required to ask questions like this, and question inconsistencies like those I've picked up on and discussed in the SWEENEY TODD and FINISHING THE HAT thread before the book went into print. I wonder if anything has been edited in reprints of the book.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]