The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Without an orchestra? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Without an orchestra?
My high school might be doing Sweeney for our end of the year musical, but we would be doing it in our little theater and there probably isn't going to be enough room for an orchestra. What are your thoughts? Can it be done with just minus tracks?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:13 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Without an orchestra?
I think the standard vocal score has it for two pianos. Maybe you could use a regular keyboard and a synthesizer?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
It certainly wouldn't have the same impact as it does when done by a full orchestra, but no one can help that.

I think it is certainly do-able

Current roles: Emcee (Cabaret)
Upcoming: Auditioning for Les Miz

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I was in a production last year where the orchestra brought in during tech week just didn't have it together. I personally tend to lay that at the feet of the pit conductor, but for whatever reason, it was clear going into opening weekend that the orchestra and cast were in no way in sync to a degree to have a successful performance. The producers fired the pit the night before opening, and we went with just our rehearsal pianist playing the piano score.

It's not as powerful as the orchestra, but in this case, it was a far, far better option, and it was fine. If you can't fit an orchestra, piano accompaniment is an option.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
I would almost never want to see Sweeney without at least a decently-sized orchestra, but the Barter Theater in Abingdon, Virginia, put on a successful production with just two pianos. It's definitely doable.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw a tiny, teeny Sweeney this summer. Twice. It was mounted in a small café/antiquary. It had two key boards and a flute (occationally played by people in the cast). It was very, very cool.

Of course it couldn't do everything that a full production can (it played up the comedy too much, among other things), but it was nevertheless super. It proved that the text/score is strong wnough to survive the simplest conditions. The material is so strong that one does not really need much more (although it is usually preferable).

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]