The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
SWEENEY TODD in Paris 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post SWEENEY TODD in Paris
After their production of A Little Night Music last year, Le Theatre du Chatelet in Paris has produced a new production of Sweeney Todd, with Franco Pomponi and Rod Gilfry alternating as Sweeney Todd, Caroline O’Connor as Mrs Lovett, Rebecca Bottone as Joanna, Nicholas Garrett as Anthony and Jonathan Best as the Judge. Unlike the John Doyle revival, this is heightened, extravagent and dark - closer the the orginal, which I would take any day over the small scale revivals inspired by the Doyle production, although I am not saying that an intimate approach isn't valid - and fortunately there is some stuff up on YouTube for us to see, including behind-the-scenes stuff and some clips:

;
;
; and

You can also have a look at some photographs [url=wyxn_sh6nhg]here[/url]. I think it looks great!

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: SWEENEY TODD in Paris
Heh. I noticed in the "A Little Priest" bit, they did a change that Sondheim suggested in "Finishing the Hat" - giving Mrs. Lovett the "meaning anyone" line.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:37 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Titanic, everything Sondheim
Main Role: Performer
I quite like the look and feel of this production. I not really a big fan of the minimalist, revival versions of the show either; I feel like, given the melodrama/operetta feel of the show, the original Broadway stylings suit the entire story better. As you say RainbowJude, the intimacy of the revival production can be used to great effect, but I still prefer the traditional staging/sets/ etc. Either way, this production seems like a promising version; it looks like it's well-cast too.

Johanna - Sweeney Todd
Kate McGowan - Titanic: The Musical

Sat May 07, 2011 6:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I quite liked the Doyle approach (whilst also loving what I've seen of the original), but Théâtre du Châtelet needs a big production, anything small and intimate would immediately get lost in there.

I've always liked what I've seen and heard of the National Theatre's revival in the early 90s which seems to be somewhere between the two approaches. Plus it has Julia McKenzie as Mrs. Lovett.

Sun May 08, 2011 2:51 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

OMG. It looks and SOUNDS amazing. Wish this was showing when I was there in December!

Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw the US tour of the John Doyle production. It was ok...but I thought having the actors playing musical instruments sort of took them out of character and the staging at times kept characters apart who should have been together. It felt more like I was watching a radio drama reading. I much prefer this French staging.

I might take a closer look at those French subtitles. My initial impression is that as usual, something is lost in translation especially when trying to translate a wordsmith like Sondheim.

And that female interviewer is cute. :oops:

Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I had to translate a suuuuuper long article about this for French class... I'm excited about Caroline O'Connor as Mrs. Lovett.

Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

So, the production was recorded for a radio concert. Delightful. There is a streaming up that you can listen to right here. I don't know how long it'll be around for, but it's FANTASTIC. It's almost as perfect as the OBC, and it's complete with spoken dialogue and a wonderful cast. It includes all the segments, including the cut material - there are all these little snippets I haven't heard on any recordings. I can't get over how excellent EVERYTHING is. The recording is bursting and crackling with energy - City on Fire and the final sequence is a tour-de-force. Woohoo! A finally, a masculine, teno Anthony that manages to start on the right note in Johanna. :P

I suppose, in theory, you could record the steam and listen to it whenever you wanted after that... :-" I also guess, in theory, if you were planning on doing something like that and were having trouble, you could always ask someone like me for help. :think:

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]