The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Sweeney Todd- YouTube: Your Favorite Productions! 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Sweeney Todd- YouTube: Your Favorite Productions!
Post links to your favorite videos of Sweeney Todd from YouTube-- whether you think it displays anything from outstanding vocal ability to superb acting. If you think it's phenominal... POST IT. There are plenty of wonderful productions of the show out there, professional and non-professional alike, and it's time they earned a tribute.

:arrow: I'll start with a video of an amazing Toby performing "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir". Todd, Lovett, and the ensemble do a wonderful job here as well, though it's very hard to hear the ensemble at certain points, but you can tell their cast is rather small (for a production of this musical, at least). I'm rather picky with blocking and vocals when it comes to this number especially, but I love this theater's version!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL9VlxYB ... re=related

:arrow: Next, here's a stunning performance of "Epiphany" from a summer theater's production of the show. (If you have time, definitely check out the rest of the Sweeney Todd videos from this user-- they're amazing!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs_KIEPO ... re=related

Now it's your turn. Post away! :)

Tue May 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Sweeney Todd- YouTube: Your Favorite Productions!
Check out our version of "God Thats Good", I really like how we added in lots of dance, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_DTFjPyE9E

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Clecle333 wrote:
Check out our version of "God Thats Good", I really like how we added in lots of dance, what do you think?

I thought your Lovett was pretty good; I personally dislike the casting of Toby as a boy (as in the film) - much prefer him played as a "slow" early 20s, but that's neither here nor there, your Toby did a pretty good job, setting that aside! Honestly though, the dance did absolutely nothing except distract me and I thought it was completely unnecessary and didn't add ANYTHING to the story. I can understand wanting to give the chorus something to do, but sorry, I really didn't like the addition of the choreo. Great costumes though!

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Clecle333 wrote:

Adding in dance is definitely different. I really liked this! Very talented cast. Your set is phenominal as well.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:24 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

AlmostHolly wrote:
Clecle333 wrote:

Adding in dance is definitely different. I really liked this! Very talented cast. Your set is phenominal as well.

Thanks! so glad you liked it :) check out the other sweeney videos too! its all on my channel :)
And yes i agree I LOVED out set, we had an amazing set and costume designer.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I think the staging could have been done better for "God That's Good". You could of had the dancing as part of it but I felt the purpose of that song was not accomplished and it should have been in this production. The people were supposed to be eating the meat pies and that was the last thing that they were doing. I also felt that Tobias was trapped up on the balcony because the ensemble was on the steps. Tobias should have been able to get to all of the customers and not just the ones on the balcony.

Also, I really disagreed with how the stage was set up. The story even says that the barber's shop is above the pie shop and it's reversed in this production. That's a major no no on the director's part for setting it up like that. By setting it up the way that they did, they made the story contradict itself. Having the pie shop upstairs makes the conversation after "Worse Pies in London" pointless and gives no reason for Mrs. Lovett to even sing "Poor Thing".

I'm not mad at the Director or the production, I'm just a passionate fan of Sweeney Todd and I'm just stating my opinion on what was presented to me.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:56 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

WickedToo wrote:
I think the staging could have been done better for "God That's Good". You could of had the dancing as part of it but I felt the purpose of that song was not accomplished and it should have been in this production. The people were supposed to be eating the meat pies and that was the last thing that they were doing. I also felt that Tobias was trapped up on the balcony because the ensemble was on the steps. Tobias should have been able to get to all of the customers and not just the ones on the balcony.

Also, I really disagreed with how the stage was set up. The story even says that the barber's shop is above the pie shop and it's reversed in this production. That's a major no no on the director's part for setting it up like that. By setting it up the way that they did, they made the story contradict itself. Having the pie shop upstairs makes the conversation after "Worse Pies in London" pointless and gives no reason for Mrs. Lovett to even sing "Poor Thing".

I'm not mad at the Director or the production, I'm just a passionate fan of Sweeney Todd and I'm just stating my opinion on what was presented to me.

Hmmm i do see what you mean..the staging was a bit messy. But trust me, we were all eating imaginary pies i remember my jaw hurting after that number haha. Also, if you watched carefully alot of the dance was related to the music and lyrics, you can especially see this in the "psst excuse me" parts, theres also many more but im not gunna list them all..lol

and thats an interesting point about the set, i guess you were seeing it in a more tradition and logical way. I cant speak for the director but i think we created it in a more aesthetically pleasing and imaginative way, im pretty sure our audience was smart enough to understand the play without the set being 100% literal.

But i do get why you are upset, this is a very different interpenetration of the musical, i guess not everyone can understand it.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:16 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
It is a bad interpretation of the musical. Sweeney Todd is an epic musical, and the genre usually demands realism. Like in Les Misérables, and The Phantom of the Opera. The staging is almost a part of the genre. And if you are going to interpret it, do it with logic. Like in the 2005 revival where we see everything as a flashback from Toby's insane mind. But adding dance without reason and contradicting the script, that is just bad directing.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:30 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

High-baritonne wrote:
It is a bad interpretation of the musical. Sweeney Todd is an epic musical, and the genre usually demands realism. Like in Les Misérables, and The Phantom of the Opera. The staging is almost a part of the genre. And if you are going to interpret it, do it with logic. Like in the 2005 revival where we see everything as a flashback from Toby's insane mind. But adding dance without reason and contradicting the script, that is just bad directing.

I completely understand what u meant by Sweeney being a piece of epic theatre...and i agree. But i still think it "works", like if a normal person came to see this show (as in not a huge musical go-er) they would still be entertained etc. but please dont write this show off as a "Bad interpretation" when you you saw one musical number of the whole show....I would suggest watching our joanna sing green finch...her voice is absolutely amazing.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]