The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Opened last weekend... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Opened last weekend...
after a bit of a rough patch. The orchestra just could not get with us within the 3 rehearsals we had with them, so they were cut, and we opened a day late with piano only. Also, my Johanna got sliced out, a casualty of technical issues with the scene changes before and after, plus the orchestra issues going on at the time.

Kind of stung losing the solo so late, but I shouldn't complain. Todd and I are doing the baritone and bass parts in The Letter quintet, which is a great piece with the bass largely featured, so there is that. Opening night went quite well, two weekends to go.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I'm sorry to hear that your production is having trouble getting together but I'm glad that you could be a part of Sweeney Todd and act the show out as a cast member. I would love to do this show one day.

Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
I'm so sorry to hear your Johanna was axed. I imagine that would feel really bad to rehearse a song for weeks only to not perform it come showtime. That's pretty awesome though that you're singing in The Letter. That's a really cool concept. It's like we're being shown Turpin reading the letter as we see Sweeney writing it...quite harrowing actually. 8O

Tue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah, the Letter quintet is a pretty sharp staging, I think. The company comes out onto the stage for the snatch of ballad during the Wigmaker Sequence ("There's tawny and there's saffron..." etc.) and then departs except for me, DS opposite Sweeney's desk, and three others who stay USC on a platform. Once Anthony exits, Sweeney goes to his desk, then we do the quintet.

At the end of it, Sweeney just gives the letter to the first of the three on the US platform, with "give this to judge Turpin, it's urgent!" They pass it down to each other towards me, then I receive it in character.

Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]