The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Best Sweeney Death? 

Who gets the best death in Sweeney Todd?
Pirelli (the intensity of Sweeney's first victim and his operatic tenor singing right before it) 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Mrs. Lovett (the ironic hurling by the love of her life into her own oven) 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Beadle (the tensions during Parlor Songs and the fact that we only see his bloody corpse, and not the murder itself) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Judge Turpin (the horrified realization of Benjamin Barker's identity before the ultimate revenge) 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Sweeney Todd (the willingness to take the blade, and the ending of his misery and torment) 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Beggar Woman (the ultimate irony in regards to who kills her and the emotionally charged scene that follows) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 36

Best Sweeney Death? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
Post Best Sweeney Death?
Yeah...I know this might seem like a really random, irrelevant question, but I feel like starting a topic that's never been done before on the Sweeney Todd boards. :wink:

Anyway, my favorite deaths are Pirelli's, the Beadle's, and Mrs. Lovett's. Although the last one of these is exceedingly gruesome, even more so than the others, and makes me shudder everytime I watch it.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Judge's Death....though especially as it is on the film. It's so relieving. And it just contrasts the other deaths in the film so much, the repeated stabbing, the blood going all on his face etc..he just doesn't care, there is a brief moment it shows this horrific Sweeney face during the scene too. I just love that death, I was so shocked to see it. The close up of the Judge's face as he realises etc. too is also moving.

/random but I think all of the death's on the film have their own 'character', which I really like. It is one area I think the film greatly succeeds in!

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:35 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm gonna go with Lovett. The reprise of A Little Priest combined with Lovett and Todd's waltz never fails to disturb me.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I always liked Sweeney's. Actually unbuttoning the collar of his shirt for Tobias...

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
My personal favorites are Todd, Turpin, and Lucy. The first is great with Sweeney's willingness. Turpin's is indeed the ultimate revenge: England's class system is finally and definitely flipped upside-down. Lucy's is absolutely hear-twrenching and as an audience member you just want to shout "No!" when Sweeney is about to do it.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I think it depends on the production. I think in the original staging (via the 1982 film) Lucy's is probably the most dramatic with Hearn at the helm. However, with the revival, my vote goes 100% to Lovett's death. I saw the tour with Judy Kaye, and she was marvellous. She had this crazy smile on her face when they were doing teh dance and the Little Priest reprise, Then, as the whistle screeched with the red floodlight and the razor going over her throat, the smile just kind of fell off into this empty look. It wasn't really sadness, it was just emptiness, an empty kind of despair like she was done her part and now had go back and join the chorus as a faceless character, that there was nothing more left of her after that razor cut her throat. Of ourse it could also be done more emotionally as well, but either way, it's so powerful seeing the look on Lovett's face when Todd kills her. That's not something you get when she gets tossed in the oven.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I really like Todd's. Its like beautifully sad, as he just found out his wife, who he thought was dead, is now dead, so he just wants to die. It sort of reminds me of Romeo and Juliet, only eviler. (PS this discussion just made me really happy becuase my friend and I were just talking about this yesterday)

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Turpin, if only for the intensity of the film death.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Turpin, if only for the intensity of the film death.

ALAN!!! NOOOOO!!!

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Beggar Woman / Lucy. Mrs. Lovett comes in a close second, in my opinion.

I remember being so heart-broken and shocked when Sweeney realized he had just murdered his own wife while merely trying to get this meaningless and bothersome "beggar woman" out of the way, in order to get back at the judge for all the things he did to her and Johanna.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Mrs Lovett
I love Mrs Lovett. The tragedy of her Character. The fact that she did this al for Sweeney and he ends it all by hurling her into her own oven. The movie does a fantastic job of this death: Her screaming... Her face. I still get shivers down my spin.

Tue May 25, 2010 10:16 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Post Re: Best Sweeney Death?
Turpin. It's just so melodramatic, in the best way humanly possible.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next