The Resource For Musicals



Sweeney Todd Forum


Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Horrid Director 
Author Message
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:15 am
Posts: 361
Location: Indiana, United States
Post Horrid Director
So, get this.

I payed $30 to be in this show. For my script, libretto, etc. Well, first of all, I get my music in a little file folder, no hole punching, just loose leaf. Its all poorly copied from some book you can buy at Barnes & Noble. I don't even GET a script till I bug my director for about a week. When I do get one, its a badly typed version of the script he printed. When I asked why we weren't using the original script he got with the royalties. He wibbled at me about how his wife typed this one for us.. etc. I rolled my eyes, and went along with it. Well, the next day, my friend Brent, (he's playing the Beadle) sent me a link on Facebook. It was a link to the Sweeney Script, which matched ours exactly, typos and all.

So all in all, we've been lied to. And stolen from. And had our intelligence insulted.

Eff this show.
>_<

_________________
Current - Quintet - Sweeney Todd
The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls. And whispered in the sound of silence.


Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 434
Location: United Kingdom
Post 
Are you sure it's a legal production?

If not then I'd advise dropping out. And tbh it sounds terrible anyway. I'd never normally condone dropping out, but there's no point doing a production with a director you don't respect and can't trust.
And there's never any point doing an illegal production.

Although I doing appreciate that if you've paid $30 to be in this show then you won't want to see that money wasted.


Sounds like a horrible situation for you :(

_________________
Some Past Roles: Agamemnon in Helen Come Home
Mushnik in Little Shop of Horrors
Mademoiselle Dianne in Picnic at Hanging Rock
Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child


Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:14 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm
Posts: 2758
Location: North Carolina
Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post 
I agree with Oli-Ol. Illegality is never good, nor professional.

_________________
Image


Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 am
Posts: 1147
Location: Australia
Current Obsession: next to normal
Post 
That's so frustrating. I'd hate to be in a shitty production that Sondheim/Wheeler etc.. aren't even being compensated for.


Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:35 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:27 am
Posts: 2434
Location: Here
Post 
I would look on the MTI website (or whoever carries this) and check and see if they are licensed to do this production.

_________________
The lovely RobinFlamingo made this for me! :)
May she rest in peace...I miss you, you big beautiful bird, you!
Image


Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:44 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Ohio
Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post 
I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you and expecially to an awesome show like Sweeney Todd! :(
Is your production using the School Edition or the regular version? I would take jazzygirlsing's advice and check if they are licensed to put on Sweeney Todd. Sweeney Todd is licensed by MTI. www.mtishows.com. If they are not licensed to do the show, I wouldn't be a part of it.

_________________
Image


Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:15 am
Posts: 361
Location: Indiana, United States
Post 
I'm 99% positive its not legal. But how do I check? I can't figure out how to check to see if a show is licensed on MTI...

_________________
Current - Quintet - Sweeney Todd
The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls. And whispered in the sound of silence.


Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 pm
Posts: 2745
Location: Lousiana
Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
Post 
I know what your going though....almost a year a go I did a horrible production of Sweeney Todd....it was so bad that I ended up hating the show for months! But yeah....I'd take the advise about seeing if the production is legal.

_________________
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." J.R.R. Tolkin.


MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh


Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Ohio
Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post 
aworthyboyishe wrote:
I'm 99% positive its not legal. But how do I check? I can't figure out how to check to see if a show is licensed on MTI...

See if your school is scheduled to perform Sweeney Todd. I would think you would be using the School Edition since it is a high school production. Here's a link to the Sweeney Todd School Edition on MTI. http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000330
Click on the "Upcoming" tab in the middle right of the screen. The schools that are licensed to do this show will be on there.

_________________
Image


Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:15 am
Posts: 361
Location: Indiana, United States
Post 
WickedToo wrote:
aworthyboyishe wrote:
I'm 99% positive its not legal. But how do I check? I can't figure out how to check to see if a show is licensed on MTI...

See if your school is scheduled to perform Sweeney Todd. I would think you would be using the School Edition since it is a high school production. Here's a link to the Sweeney Todd School Edition on MTI. http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000330
Click on the "Upcoming" tab in the middle right of the screen. The schools that are licensed to do this show will be on there.


But its not a school production. Its a community theatre.

_________________
Current - Quintet - Sweeney Todd
The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls. And whispered in the sound of silence.


Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:07 pm
Posts: 11297
Main Role: Performer
Post 
they made you Pay to do the show?? WTF. NEVER be in a show that you have to pay to be in. thats disgustung.

_________________
Image[/quote]


Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am
Posts: 705
Location: Southern California
Post 
aworthyboyishe wrote:
WickedToo wrote:
aworthyboyishe wrote:
I'm 99% positive its not legal. But how do I check? I can't figure out how to check to see if a show is licensed on MTI...

See if your school is scheduled to perform Sweeney Todd. I would think you would be using the School Edition since it is a high school production. Here's a link to the Sweeney Todd School Edition on MTI. http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000330
Click on the "Upcoming" tab in the middle right of the screen. The schools that are licensed to do this show will be on there.


But its not a school production. Its a community theatre.


Then go to this link. Not that difficult.
http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000075

I see one production in Indiana listed, for the end of October this year.


Last edited by teapot on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.