The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Judge Turpin and Judge Frollo 

Are Judge Turpin and Judge Frollo Similar?
YES! They have many similar goals/traits. 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Kinda. I guess you can see some type of similarness. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
No! I don't see this at all, actually. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Judge Turpin and Judge Frollo 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Judge Turpin and Judge Frollo
I was listening to Hellfire from Hunchback of Notre Dame and there was a little bit of "Me aculpa mea maxima culpa" I then began to think of where I had heard that phrase from before. I suddenly thought of Johanna, but of course it finally hit me that Judge Turpin says this when he's thinking about Johanna. So from that I began to think of how similar the characters are from one another. From what I've come up with they both want someone that they can't have Johanna/Esmeralda. They're both Judges duh! They bend the law to get what they want. Anyone see this similarity or am I just crazy? Thank you all for your replies in advance.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:39 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
That's in interesting point. Hunchback of Notre Dame's score was by Stephen Schwartz (He also did the score for Wicked.) and Sweeney Todd's is by Stephen Soundheim. I think that's cool that Schwartz incorporated that into his score of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I definitely see your point.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:34 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
Main Role: Performer
There are similarities. I find Judge Rollo infinitely better written and more interesting as a character. Turpin is just sort of creepy and there.

Last edited by The Guard on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:21 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Judge Turpin and Judge Frollo
V0CA1 wrote:
I was listening to Hellfire from Hunchback of Notre Dame and there was a little bit of "Me aculpa mea maxima culpa" I then began to think of where I had heard that phrase from before. I suddenly thought of Johanna, but of course it finally hit me that Judge Turpin says this when he's thinking about Johanna. So from that I began to think of how similar the characters are from one another. From what I've come up with they both want someone that they can't have Johanna/Esmeralda. They're both Judges duh! They bend the law to get what they want. Anyone see this similarity or am I just crazy? Thank you all for your replies in advance.

Hmm, there's possiblity of discreet allusion, but when one considers that the Latin phrase comes from a prayer that's been used in Catholicism for years and 'corrupt' authority figures of religious piety and apparent high moral values have appeared a great many times in both reality and fiction, it could easily be pure coincidence arising from the premise similarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confiteor

Last edited by random_person on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:21 am

That's in interesting point. Hunchback of Notre Dame's score was by Stephen Schwartz (He also did the score for Wicked.) and Sweeney Todd's is by Stephen Soundheim. I think that's cool that Schwartz incorporated that into his score of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I definitely see your point.
Schwartz only did the lyrics. The music was by Alan Menken.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:00 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I was listening to the Original Broadway Cast Recording of Sweeney Todd this morning and the song "Parlor Songs" with the Beadle, Mrs. Lovett, and Toby is very similar to The Hunchback of Notre Dame as well.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I definitely noticed the eery similarity. Both lust and pine for unobrainable women/girls. Both use their power to get said objects of their twisted lust/hate/affections. And of course, the use of Mea Culpa in both of their big songs. They could almost be the same character...

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Go on Youtube and you can see a Sweeney music vid to this song

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Claude Frollo- Disney's answer to Judge Turpin. Hellfire is the best villian song hands down. too bad disney didnt keep Frollo as a priest as he is in the novel though.

Proof positive. Love it!

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:24 pm

There are similarities. I find Judge Rollo infinitely better written and more interesting as a character. Turpin is just sort of creepy and there.

Well, they occupy different places in the narrative. Frollo is the Big Baddie in the Disney movie, so of course he gets developed more. Turpin's job is to be more hateful and despicable than the murderous barber who bakes his clients into pies. And even in that role, he gets to struggle with his motivations instead of just walking around humming "When You're Evil" and kicking puppies for fun, as one might be tempted to do with a character who is literally more evil than a penny-dreadful murderer.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The other day I watched Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time in a long time. And the entire time I kept thinking how similar Judge Frollo and Judge Turpin are.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
I really am of two minds on this one. On one hand, yes, they both have very similar goals/traits, and both feel guilt for what they know is a forbidden love/lust.

On the other hand, I think that the source of their guilt is very different. Dom Claude Frollo's guilt is genuinely spiritual, in my opinion (there's a lot of interpretations on this one), whereas Judge Turpin has become pseudo-spiritual so he can try and expel his guilt.

One uses religion as a method of defense against his guilt, and the other one can't use religion as a shield anymore, simply because it makes him feel dirty and hypocritical.

Am I making any sense, or was I talking in circles?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next