The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Sweeney Todd" Video Repository 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post "Sweeney Todd" Video Repository
Please forgive the awful staging. Our director was an idiot and didn't give us a single acting/blocking note for this scene. This was also our second show of the day, and most of us were running on three hours of sleep. And the recording was difficult to work with...

Enough with the excuses, though...
Ladies and gentlemen, I present "A Little Priest" for your review. Please, criticize/comment away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0n_7pV7uus

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
I'm sorry that a sucky director ruined Sweeney Todd for you. Playing Lovett is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, after all.

Either way, you looked awesome as Lovett, and the singing's cool too. Try to keep the good memories of doing this magnificent show and rip the director to shreds out of your life. lol

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I wouldn't call it a once-in-a-lifetime role. She's young. It'll come around again.

A few thoughts. "Worst Nightmare Productions" Your director seems to be living out that name ;-)

As for you, m'dear, you did a phenomenal job. Your have a beautiful voice with great power and diction (We can HEAR Sondheim's hilarious lyrics). And your facial expressions! Ah, the true sign of a good character actress. And I love your laugh too. Sooo Mrs. Lovett. As for Sweeney, he had a great voice too (cast with George Hearn in mind but costumed and made up to look like Johnny Depp (as Edward Scissorhands, more than Sweeney Todd :wink:). The set was cool. How was the coffin used? I imagine it might have confused people.
The only thing I disliked was the blocking. I imagine it was either you or Sweeney who blocked it? A lot of influence from the Tim Burton film. It would have worked well in a much bigger theatre, but with the audience so close, it may have felt a little uncomfortable for them... unless that was the goal. But I realize this totally wasn't your fault.
Either way, you did a phenomenal job. I'd love to see your "Worst Pies" or "By the Sea".

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

I loved it! You are a great Mrs. Lovett and very Lansbury like how you try to manipulate Todd with a fun upbeat persona.
You said criticism was okay so the only thing I would have done differently (this is only personally, if I was ever Mrs. Lovett LOL) would be to keep looking at Todd with a "is he buying it?" expression. But that's only a personal acting choice and you did a wonderful job :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 pm

I actually really enjoyed your interpretation.. Something a little different.

:)

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That was really great! I wish the audience would've laughed more, though. You're right the staging was pretty bad, but you were fabulous. The whole scene, though, was lacking energy. But I'm not pinning that on you. You were bursting with it. Your Todd and your audience were blah.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:06 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Thank you for your kind words. I haven't been able to reply because I've been ill since this fall, but it was nice to come back to some compliments.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:24 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Finally got around to uploading more videos from last year's production "Sweeney." Would appreciate feedback/constructive criticism so I can improve future performances.

Wait
God, That's Good
Worst Pies In London
Johanna (Reprise)

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
EJF! Welcome back! I hope you're doing well.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I'm doing better, thank you! I just got off another round of steroids and feel better than I have in a long while.

Last year was really rough on me. As I was uploading the videos, I couldn't believe how haggard I looked. Some of it was makeup, yes, but I was teenie-tiny and looked so very tired. I remember that I wasn't actually absorbing any nutrients at this time, so it's amazing I even plowed through that show. In "Worst Pies" there's a couple of times where I look like I'm about to keel over. Hahaha.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Ah! You're here! You've been missed like crazy!! How are you?

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:48 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I am happy to be back! One more video before I head off to my class. Brett (our Sweeney) puts Johnny Depp to shame in this one. He was so amazing. His musical ever, too.

My Friends

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next