The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sweeney and Shakespeare 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Hamlet himself has some great one liners.

Yeah, I didn't really realize this this until I actually saw it live. I think it was all the Hamlet I saw...he was absolutely AMAZING with the one-liners (actually, he wasjust plain awsome all around, although he overacted a teeny bit during the really emotional scenes i.e. the Ghost's first visit).

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sweeney is not like Hamlet at all. Hamlet's whole thing is indecision about revenge. Sweeney knows the whole time he wants revenge. Ok, Sweeney waits for a little bit. But that's because he's playing with the Judge. Also, Sweeney waits for half a song. Hamlet waits for... the entire play, minus the final scene. But I do see a Judge/Claudius connection. Both did horrible things to someone very dear to the lead (Hamlet Sr./Lucy) and now have someone under their influence very close to the lead (Gertrude/Johanna). I love the Sweeney/Lovett - MacB/LacyMacB comparison! I'm doing Sweeney right now and I haven't thought of any of this! (Shame on me, I'm a Shakespeare buff!) And I can also see kind of a Banquo/Pirelli link, even though they don't share the same relevance to the main character, they provide the same early murder to prevent something bad from happening (blackmail/prophecy). They also leave behind someone after their murder. (Toby/Fleance) I would go on but I'm afraid I will rant.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:43 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Chess, Camelot, South Pacific, Carousel
Main Role: Performer
Post Sweeney Todd and Shakespeare
I see a lot of similarities between "Sweeney Todd" and Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus". Both deal with revenge in the most gruesome way. Both also deal with baking people into pies. And both are extremely gory.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2