The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Different Lovetts: Which One is the Best? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Call me insane, but Lansbury makes me cringe sometimes. I just really don't like the tone of her voice.

In person, or on stage? I've never heard her.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:28 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

musikal_geek wrote:
Call me insane, but Lansbury makes me cringe sometimes. I just really don't like the tone of her voice.

In person, or on stage? I've never heard her.

Eh? Her singing voice sometimes makes me cringe... :| Not sure how else to say it. And she's never sung to me personally, so obviously on stage. :?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

No, I was just confused as to whether you didn't like the tone of her regular voice (if she were being rude or something) or just the way her singing sounds :)

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:33 pm

I guess when I think about it, I just don't like *some* voices she uses. Like, she sounds magnificent in Beauty and the Beast, but she just annoys the hell out of me in Sweeney Todd. Granted, the characters are COMPLETE opposites... idk. 8)

Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:41 am

but Lovett shouldn't have a pleasant voice.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't understand how one person can give Patti Lupone so LITTLE credit...she has a wonderful voice, and obviously some people think that she understands what she is doing and who she is playing...she was asked to REPRISE the role from the concert performance to the revival. She brings a dark humor to the role that wasn't there with Lansbury, Lansbury plays everything "shtick" whereas Lupone actually understands the darkness of the humor which Sondheim writes into the show.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Eh? Her singing voice sometimes makes me cringe... :| Not sure how else to say it. And she's never sung to me personally, so obviously on stage. :?

8O Even in Gypsy??

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't understand how one person can give Patti Lupone so LITTLE credit...she has a wonderful voice, and obviously some people think that she understands what she is doing and who she is playing...she was asked to REPRISE the role from the concert performance to the revival. She brings a dark humor to the role that wasn't there with Lansbury, Lansbury plays everything "shtick" whereas Lupone actually understands the darkness of the humor which Sondheim writes into the show.

*double take*
8O

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:35 am

Main Role: Performer

wow you really dont understand Sweeny Todd at all do you.

patti was a caracature..lansbury was a 3 dimenional character.

lupone cant play half the roles lansbury played. she's done everything from crazy mad pie women to pretty songbirds to life loving millionare to evil and didactic political operators.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:38 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Crap, I forgot about Judy Kaye.

I think she took what Lupone did and made it better and expanded on it.

Don't know much abot Fowler though...

Agreed...it's not neccassarily Lupone I liked, just the kind of Lovett she played and Judy Kaye made it better.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Here's my explanation from earlier in the thread:
...Because Lansbury acts wacky and bizarre, Sweeney would never think that she is hiding the truth about his wife from him and the other characters wouldn't think that she is cooking people into pies. Whereas Lupone, bless her, is essentially playing herself.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I like both Angela and Patti. Angela is jsut Angela :D, Helena is like a former Countess and maybe too nice and soft. But Patti is a real witch, with a great sense of humor, but not ridiculous. You can take her serious when she wants.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next