The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Different Lovetts: Which One is the Best? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I bought the '82 DVD yesterday, and having watched it, I have some strong opinioins about Lansbury's Lovett. I've always liked Lansbury as a performer, and for the most part enjoyed her performance on the OBC, though it was a little goofy.

That did nothing to prepare me for the bizarre entity that is Lansbury's stage Lovett.

I get it that she was playing a wacky character, but she does all these bizarre facial tics and seizure-like gestures that really made no sense to me. I'm thinking particularly that little thing she does in A Little Priest. You know which I mean. Her inflection on lines is bizarre, and I just did not buy her as cunning or in any way villainous, just as a crazy old lady. Stole a bit from Lucy, there.

I liked her a bit better in the second act (save for By the Sea, where she was again so weird and distracting), but overall, I can't say I'm a fan of her performance. By the end she was better, but I really have enjoyed more of what I heard from LuPone. A purchase of the concert DVD is surely in order.

It Is a Wonderful Life: George Bailey
The Pirates of Penzance: The Pirate King

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
LuPone never understands the role. plus she cant emotionally connect on stage.

A Little Priest is a music hall number and is played as such.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

LuPone never understands the role. plus she cant emotionally connect on stage.

A Little Priest is a music hall number and is played as such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyl8a140Tc

6:01-6:06.

Looks more like some tribal mating ritual than a music hall number.

I think LuPone is much funnier in the role. At some times she's nice and big, at other times she gets more dry and witty in her delivery. The contrast works well, rather than Lansbury's incessant "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHLALALALAAREN'TIFUNNY" shtick.

LuPone's performance has more texture. We see none of Lansbury's character past her crazy exterior. I feel like LuPone took the GOOD parts of Lansbury's performance and combined it with her own other GOOD stuff.

It Is a Wonderful Life: George Bailey
The Pirates of Penzance: The Pirate King

Last edited by The Pirate King on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am
Profile WWW

its the opposite..Lansbury's lovett has 3 or 4 layers...very nuanced and very complex. LuPone is a one dimenional act. She doesnt undertand Lovett at all...Lansbury is always in character and always hitting the right marks. Patti is saying..look I'm patti and i'm a diva!
i hated her and cerveris.

of course she was as bad in Sweeney as she was in Sunset Blvd.

the only Lovett to come close to Lansbury's was beth Fowler in the first revival. Not as good as Angie but damned close.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I bought the '82 DVD yesterday, and having watched it, I have some strong opinioins about Lansbury's Lovett. I've always liked Lansbury as a performer, and for the most part enjoyed her performance on the OBC, though it was a little goofy.

That did nothing to prepare me for the bizarre entity that is Lansbury's stage Lovett.

I get it that she was playing a wacky character, but she does all these bizarre facial tics and seizure-like gestures that really made no sense to me. I'm thinking particularly that little thing she does in A Little Priest. You know which I mean. Her inflection on lines is bizarre, and I just did not buy her as cunning or in any way villainous, just as a crazy old lady. Stole a bit from Lucy, there.

That's the whole point. Because Lansbury acts wacky and bizarre, Sweeney would never think that she is hiding the truth about his wife from him and the other characters wouldn't think that she is cooking people into pies. Whereas Lupone, bless her, is essentially playing herself.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I do agree with that. Lanbury's Lovett seems very harmless, if not a bit loony. She seems like just some harmless, slightly loony character.

I remember watching it (The Lansbury/Hearn vid.) with my Drama class, who (at that point in time) knew nothing about Sweeney. (Well.. minus myself, the teacher, and this one girl.) Everyone else went "WHUT?!" when it went into "A Little Priest". That was priceless. I love how it caught them so off guard.

I do agree that the subsequent production's Lovetts aren't as unsuspecting... But I'm biased. LuPone!Lovett is more in my singing range.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
My one (small issue) with Lansbury's Lovett is that she seems to throw away the romantic lines (i.e. Poor Thing, My Friends, etc.) but I;'m just a hopeless romantic myself and always liked Sensual in-love Lovetts myself...

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:11 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I love Angela's crazy, loony Lovett that hides her true evil until the end.

But, I also like Lupone's darker, more sexual Lovett.

Don't get me started on Helena. Worked on film, but there was not much evil present.

At the end of the day though, I prefer Angela's!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 am

Lansbury
Fowler
Kaye
Carter
and last and least....Lupone

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think she took what Lupone did and made it better and expanded on it.

Don't know much abot Fowler though...

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 am

Call me insane, but Lansbury makes me cringe sometimes. I just really don't like the tone of her voice.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next