The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Sweeney Todd: High School Edition! 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Kiss Me was not cut from the High School Edition....

EDIT: Looked back at my prior posts a realized that I said the song Kiss Me was indeed cut, but it wasn't. Sorry for the confusion.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Kiss Me was not cut from the High School Edition....

EDIT: Looked back at my prior posts a realized that I said the song Kiss Me was indeed cut, but it wasn't. Sorry for the confusion.

YESSSS!!

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Kiss Me is one of the best songs in the show. Plus it further defines Anthony and Johanna and it shows how dependent she is to run away. They'd be fools if they cut it. I'm glad they didn't.

Much thanks to xxstagekiss for the wonderful banner.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post High school editions
Seriously, I just don't get it.. why is it that of all shows to turn into high school versions for younger audiences they pick the darkest, most adult musicals out there that then have to be hacked apart to cut out any offending material and even then you cringe in your seat when you watch a 15 year old slitting a throat, or gyrating in a bikini as a prostitute in Saigon, or a drag queen dying of aids?

(Note, I LOVE all these shows, and their awesome subject matter, truly love them)

But it's just absurd to me the shows I keep seeing released as student editions. I don't get who sat down and said "Ok, here's all the shows out there, which ones would be the most appropriate to turn into student editions?" And seriously? They came up with "Les Mis (not so bad but still, it deals with massive death) Miss Saigon (hookers, suicide, and more hookers) Sweeney Todd (no explanation needed) and RENT (Aids, transgender, intravenous drug use and death)

And it's not even like there are other "student editions" out there.. Unless I'm mistaken (which I may be).. these are the only ones I've seen specifically chosen for high schools and such to perform.

Now, let me say that I am not some old fuddy dud who thinks kids shouldn't be exposed to harsh subjects. I think ALL kids and high schoolers should be able to see all these awesome, awesome shows, and learn about their issues and important subjects. But come on.

And then the shows have to be totally chopped up to make them appropriate, and even then they're mostly not. But are now not nearly the show that made them so wonderful in the first place.

I honestly would not be suprised to see "Eqqus: Student Edition" , Hair: Student Edition, and the new indie hit "Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical: The student edition" being released for teens 18 and under soon.

All this and then there are fantastic shows which are unavailable for licensing such as Hairspray, Legally Blonde, Spelling Bee and Wicked which I would LOVE to see high schools do and yet these are passed over for student editions because obviously they just wouldn't work as well as the previous shows I mentioned. ???

Just crazy if you ask me.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Please tell me you did not just say that you'd love to see a high school do Wicked.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Please tell me you did not just say that you'd love to see a high school do Wicked.

I think it would be hard to doable.

Thanks everyone for your posts in this thread.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:46 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If what I saw last night didn't have any changes from the licensed school edition, it certainly could have been worse. They did cut Turpin's "Johanna" but the only bits I really really missed were some of the fabulous puns in "A Little Priest," losing some of my favorite Sondheim lyrics made me want to cry.

And I assume it wasn't an invention of this high school's to have a Narrator I and Narrator II who led the chorus throughout the show, was it? Because I really actually liked that addition. Loved the fact that they were always there, watching.

I have to say the teenagers handled the material very well. Singing-wise, they conquered it.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:44 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Sweeney Todd: High School Edition!
Kragey wrote:
tobiasragg wrote:
verse missing in NWIA and its in a lower key (totally ripping the audiences off from having that beautiful high note.)

It's only a beautiful high note if you hit it, and honestly, after suffering through our horrendous Gavroche while I was in high school, I'm not sure I'd put a HS production up to the task.

Okay, Gavroche is supposed to be played a boy. If you had a high schooler play it thats your fault for making a tenor sing notes as if his voice had never changed.

Tobias in Sweeney has to hold out an A4. Most Tenors have that, and if not they can sing it falsetto and it would be fine.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Honestly, I'm praying the local teen theatre company near me who's looking for a musical will do this version of the show. [-o<

My friend and I suggested Sweeney Todd, and the main board of the program definitely seemed interested and willing to give it a shot at some point.

Just a question:
I know it's not a huge change to the lyrics or the meaning, but in "Poor Thing" why did they change, "... had a chance for the moon on a string," to "... had a change for the world on a string"?
Sorry, just curious. I never understand why lyrics get slightly-modified when they would've been fine as they were. :?

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I would bet it would be Sondheim's edit to the material- it wouldnt' be the first time he'd change a few minor lyrics in the show, as his changes to the patter at the beginning of "Pirelli's" has shown.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Next to Normal
Main Role: Performer
I just did a teen production of Sweeney Todd, and the only thing that was cut, as others said, was the Judge's "Johanna", for obvious reasons. Kiss Me was not cut. The only song that the key was changed was the Act 2 "Johanna". I hate when people generalize in saying that teenagers can't put on a decent production of Sweeney. The show is incredibly difficult and it was definitely the most challenging show I've ever done, but we really pulled it off. If videos of our production end up on youtube, I'll post them. We had an incredibly talented cast.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I hate when people generalize in saying that teenagers can't put on a decent production of Sweeney. The show is incredibly difficult and it was definitely the most challenging show I've ever done, but we really pulled it off.

My beef is that teenagers just haven't lived enough to portray the characters appropriately. As a recent teenager, I don't feel I'm being an old fuddy duddy. Most teenagers haven't the proper perspective to play middle-aged. Plus, hormones is serious stuff. :P

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next