The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Sweeney Todd Razor 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ordered them! They should come in the next two weeks, and our production meeting is in four...so we'll be good!

One question about the blood. Should it be very red? Pink? Thick? Thin?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

a deep red would be good, just don't go to light or too dark.

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Don't make it too watery so that it drips all over their necks & don't make it too thick so it wont come out of the razor at all......you just need to play around with it....

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:22 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thanks for the suggestions! Bought some fake blood today, am going to play with it. The one I bought is way too thin, it's like water. How would you thicken it a bit?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hmm, I'm not too sure. I know flour makes things thicker with foods, but it can become somewhat "paste-like" so I wouldn't want it to clog your new razors.......:?.......I'll have to sleep on it...... #-o

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:41 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'll try experimenting some more. The blood is too thin, so i'll try some stuff. I might have to buy different blood.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hello! I have been invovled with several productions of sweeney todd, so have learnt a few different ways of doing the blood and razors.

First your blood problem. fake blood can be very easily and very cheaply made to any consistency. there are many recipese out there many gelatine or soap based, but the best one i found was a syrup based one.

I pour one large jar of golden syrup - or corn syrup if your in america - into a bowl add to that a splash of condensed milk - this adds the murkiness of blood. then pour in lots of red food dye. the amount really depends on the colour you want. i also found using red and some cochneil(like red but darker) to give a good tone. you can also experiement with the colour by adding a few drops of yellow and perhaps a drop of blue. if you want to blood to look a bit older mix some instant coffee with a little water and add that it just takes the brightness of the red away. what you are left with is a thick sticky blood red solution. perfect for apintint on the body but not good for spraying. so simply add water to it until you get the consistency you want! i found this made me the perfect blood for our production and razors. the other recipes just didnt work so well.

AS for Razors

The National theatre used simple prop razors, and the blood came from somewhre else. the white sheets sweeney puts around the necks of his clients had plastic collars which had tubes running from them attached to which was a small squeezy bottle filled with blood. sweeney would pick the sheet up attach the collar around the clients neck and then just drag his razor across the throat, the acotr/client, under the sheet, would squeeze the bottle and blood would shoot everywhere. this was VERY effective in a large theatre, i would improves the effect by adding red makeup alone the blade so is leaves a nice slice wound as well as all the blood.

OR

An earlier post about the Original productions razors using sparklets is quite right, and they would be pricey, AND when i was designing some razors working off a similar premise i discovered sparklets are fairly hard to come by now, no where near as common as about ten years ago! so i had to rethink. I built a set of razors, that had highly pollished copper tube about 3/4 CM in diameter, the tube doesn't have to be copper it could be any i used copper because we had little budget and i got it for free it also polished nicely and looked silver under the lights. i made one razor like a normal cutthroat that opens and closes, but about 12 or so inches in length when open. the second was fixed open, and like the original production ones the blade was folded aluminun, that had a tube with holes running through it, thi tube came out the bottom of the blade and ran into the handle, and had a piece of heavy duty rubber tubing on the end. the handle was hollow and had a square cut out. a small nozzled squeezy bottle would be filled with blood then slotted into the handle, the nozzle fixing into the rubber tubing holding it in palce nd making liguid and air tight. so all the acotr had to do was put his fingers over the cut out square in the handle and squeeze the bottle inside and blood sprayed everywhere out of the blade - very effective.

I know this is a long rambling post but i hope there is something usefull in it for you!

good luck and take care
Chris :D

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:12 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Doesn anyone know where I can find razors that look like the original broadway productions? I like your second explanation of the razors. Do you know where I can find some that are like that?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:49 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I just received the Sweeney Todd blood razors in the mail today and I'd have to say that I am greatly overjoyed. The blood flows so well. It loooks so reall! Here are some new pics!

What do you guys think of them?

Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"My them blades is chased silver, ain't they?"

I think they're gorgeous! Is there a website for this person that designed them for you?? :)

Fri May 26, 2006 3:38 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

http://www.heaton53.freeserve.co.uk/cosmart.htm

Fri May 26, 2006 6:17 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Can I rent your razors, now that you are done with them?
BenjaminB wrote:
I just received the Sweeney Todd blood razors in the mail today and I'd have to say that I am greatly overjoyed. The blood flows so well. It loooks so reall! Here are some new pics!
What do you guys think of them?

I think they look great! If you are done with them and they worked well--can we rent them for a community college production of the CG Bond SWEENEY? What do you say?

\:D/

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next