The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Sweeney Todd Razor 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Sweeney Todd Razor
I have been commisioned to design the Cut Throat Razors in the Lonestar Theatre Companies production of Sweeney Todd. I need some suggestions about the razor. How did your production do the razor? Pipets? Don't like. Could someone tell me how they are designed to work? Please? Thank you very much!

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Um, when we did our production 2 years ago my director was looking for a rental on the chair & they guy who had it rented it for like $50 (entire production & rehersal) along with two professional razors.....so I never had to worry about constructing them. But I'll ask my director what she was gonna do to make them cause she didn't even think that someone would give them to her along with the chair.....I'm sure she'll be able to think of something.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:29 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thanks you very much. I am in desperate need of one or how to make one.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:14 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The original Sweeney razors had a two compartment brass handle. The lower compartment contained a "Sparklets" CO2 bulb and was separated from the upper compartment by a push button valve. The upper compartment contained the stage blood and fed a tube, perforated with a line of holes along one side, around which the "blade" was wrapped. Each Sparklets bulb held enough CO2 for one big two moderate shots of blood, with enough left for cleaning out with water afterwards.

They were made specially for the production at a cost of around £300 each; I think there were six in all. They were a bit heavy on Sparklet consumption and made a loud hiss when operated. You can tell in the DVD when George hearn slits the first customer's throatin Johanna(Act 2.)

I a buying some razors for a production my company is doing. Two razors are being made , the first being an oversized (about 6", open about 12") version of a normal cut throat razor, the blade slotting inside the handle and flipping open. The second blade was fixed in the open position, one half of the handle was a soft envelope in which you could insert a tube of theatrical blood, this connected to a thin perforated tube which ran along the top of the blade. So when slicing across the victim's neck, you squeezed the handle and the blood flowed, very gruesome.

Here are some pics of the razors. They look very nice. Hope they are!

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:36 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I didn't have time to talk to my director because of an accident a student in my class had......:(......but she said she already had razors made with plastic eyedropers that we used in chem labs......are those "pipets"? Well, she had them fastened to the razor and all Sweeney would have to do is squeeze for the "blood" to come out......You also need a good "blood" too. It can't be watery or thick.....all you can do is just play around with it until you find the consistancy you like. Do the razors come with blood?

Once again sorry for the delay.....hope this helps......

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:49 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

No, the blood is not supplied with the razors. They are being made by an artist by the name of Jude Heaton.

Do you think these razors are a good deal? I guess that really work well. From the video I saw of Sweeney Cutting the victims throats, it was gruesome. Blodd went all over the towel, neck, even the chair. I am paying around 465.00 dollars(U.S.) for a pair of two.

What do you think? Is it a good deal?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hmm......they sound really nice, but they do seem a bit pricey..... :?

How many preformances will you be using them? Cause I think it's a pretty big investment for only a couple of nights......

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:45 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Last edited by BenjaminB on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:24 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

We are going to be doing Sweeney Todd for aproximately one month. About twenty-three performances.

It was a hefty royalty fee though, I'll tell you! We do have a big budget for the show.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^That is what I was concerd about when I saw the price! Your lucky you get a huge bugedt. My budget for Fiddler is $0!

I think the huge roltalty is due to the fact there is a verson on Broadway right now.

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Wow. That is not fair. Sorry, about your budget. I am going to buy the razors today. And Hopefully we will get them before we have or production metting.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:05 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

That seems pretty good.....cause you would want the razors to be able to withstand all of the use....hope they come in before your meeting! :D

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next