Musicals.Net
http://musicals.net/forums/

Sunset Boulevard
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=70786
Page 3 of 3

Author:  JIJane [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:47 am ]
Post subject: 

"What you're offering is merely hearsay."

It comes from a very reliable and respected source who often takes part in respected documentaries about this period of time and is often quoted. Definitely not hearsay, I believe what I was told, as that person also related back many stories of what Wilder was like on the set. Which at a later point in time, I found backed up by written information in corresponding books. I would not quote random "hearsay" on a public internet board if I wasn't very very sure it was true.

I can't comment on LuPone, I didn't see her. From what I have seen/heard of her, she varies from role to role. Also, I don't think anyone could have really believed she was an aging former ravishing beauty that men committed suicide for. Lu Pone is many things but a ravishing blinding beauty in her youth? Methinks not.

Author:  Salome [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wilder and SUNSET BOULEVARD musical / Patti...

RainbowJude wrote:
JIJane wrote:
My Billy Wilder quote comes from the person who sat next to him on Sunset Boulevard opening night and spoke to him about it afterwards - and had known him well for several years. Official statements often tend to vary from quotes from friends and business acquaintances...


Even so, official statements are officially documented. What you're offering is merely hearsay.

Salome wrote:
I can't believe Wilder would rave about LuPone's terrible performance as Norma.


Well, he did. Easy to believe, because LuPone's performance as Norma wasn't terrible.

Later days
David


i saw her. it was one of the worst pieces of crap i saw. Glenn Close was perfect in the NYC version. LuPone played ..well ..a crazed patti lupone.

Author:  RainbowJude [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:20 am ]
Post subject:  Opinions

Salome wrote:
[LuPone] was one of the worst pieces of crap I saw.


Sometimes I wonder if you're as extensively knowledgeable about musical theatre as you project yourself as being: when I read things like My Fair Lady is the best musical ever and the the best screen adaptation of a musical ever or LuPone in Sunset Boulevard is "one of the worst pieces of crap" you've ever seen. Not that I'm saying that My Fair Lady isn't one of the great musicals or that LuPone in Sunset Boulevard is one of the greatest performances in a musical - but there is so much worse out there than LuPone and also musicals that are better than My Fair Lady. Your opinions confound me, because you rarely justify them.

Later days
David

Author:  Nicola [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Opinions

RainbowJude wrote:
Salome wrote:
[LuPone] was one of the worst pieces of crap I saw.


Sometimes I wonder if you're as extensively knowledgeable about musical theatre as you project yourself as being: when I read things like My Fair Lady is the best musical ever and the the best screen adaptation of a musical ever or LuPone in Sunset Boulevard is "one of the worst pieces of crap" you've ever seen. Not that I'm saying that My Fair Lady isn't one of the great musicals or that LuPone in Sunset Boulevard is one of the greatest performances in a musical - but there is so much worse out there than LuPone and also musicals that are better than My Fair Lady. Your opinions confound me, because you rarely justify them.

Later days
David


I think she just uses hyperbole to express herself. Hard to take her opinions seriously as a result, but she makes her opinion known, nonetheless.

Author:  Salome [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am ]
Post subject: 

ask anyone on the boards about my knowledge..and if you want justification on something ask. don't attack.

Author:  Hans [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Salome wrote:
ask anyone on the boards about my knowledge..and if you want justification on something ask. don't attack.


That doesn't seem like an attack, Dawn. David has been asking about your justification on your opinions (for example in the thread on cut SOM songs). You keep posting your opinions as facts without explaining yourself. It'd be easier to appreciate your knowledge if you could elaborate on your statements.

Author:  EricMontreal22 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't think that was meant as an attack--and neither is this. The short time I've been on here, Salome it does seem that you like to use hyperbole to express yourself, which makes it hard for others to take it seriously. It comes off a bit as a teacher who is tolerating her students and their wrong opinions but knows that there's no chance anyone else's opinion could have ANY legitimicy at all and is only too happen to hammer that back into them.

Wilder's opinions about Patti are even in the official Sunset BLVD companion book--true that's an official book so might be hard to credit--except Wilder is notorious for never mincing his words or speaking out of courtesy.


So whoon these boards are we meant to ask about your knowledge of all things Billy Wilder and Sunset Blvd? The fact you claim to have this huge vast knowledge on anything makes it seem all the more preposterous--why discuss on a disucssion forum if you won't entertain other opinions.

Author:  RainbowJude [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am ]
Post subject:  Disheartening Stuff

Salome wrote:
Ask anyone on the boards about my knowledge.

I don't have to ask. I've been around these boards since 1999; I've seen it all first hand. But your knowledge is so often tempered with sweeping statements and hyperbole and, at times, hostility, that sometimes it's hard to take seriously and allows things to escalate into out of control arguments. Take the Sarah Brightman debate on the "Phantom 2" thread, for example. I don't condone the personal attacks on you there, but at the same time it takes two to tango and with two people stoking the fire, valuable discussion has been all but lost for the sake of hyperbole and or the slinging of insults. What good does that do anyone?

Salome wrote:
If you want justification on something, ask. Don't attack.

Dvarg wrote:
That doesn't seem like an attack, Dawn. David has been asking about your justification on your opinions (for example in the thread on cut SOM songs). You keep posting your opinions as facts without explaining yourself. It'd be easier to appreciate your knowledge if you could elaborate on your statements.

EricMontreal22 wrote:
I don't think that was meant as an attack - and neither is this. The short time I've been on here, Salome it does seem that you like to use hyperbole to express yourself, which makes it hard for others to take it seriously.... The fact you claim to have this huge vast knowledge on anything makes it seem all the more preposterous - why discuss on a disucssion forum if you won't entertain other opinions?

Other than reiterating these points made my Hans and Eric, I don't really have much more to say on the matter. I find this kind of stuff fairly disheartening in the first place and it's not why I am a member of this board in the first place.

Later days
David

Author:  RobSmy [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am ]
Post subject:  Canadian Cast CD

I strongly recommend you listen (or collect) this CD, with Diahann Carroll as Norma. The songs are not just sung, they are acted. Even the bit players, like the owner of the men's shop, put their full attention into the songs. Also, the quality of the romantic leads' voices and the orchestration are superb.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/