Musicals.Net
http://musicals.net/forums/

Glen Close or Patti LuPone?
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=50938
Page 1 of 3

Author:  matonad44 [ Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Glen Close or Patti LuPone?

Who did you like better in the role of Norma Desmond?

(and why)

Author:  PAMIE [ Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Glen Close or Patti LuPone?

matonad44 wrote:
Who did you like better in the role of Norma Desmond?

(and why)


I choose Patti she rocks but I did not see her in Sunset Boulevard but I bought London casting of Sunset Boulevard thought she did great job, I was disappointing at Andrew Lloyd Webber that he choose Glenn Close over Patti, I like Glenn Close as a actress not a singer she not that great as a singer.

Author:  The Very Angry Woman [ Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Who's Glen Close?

Author:  Salome [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:14 am ]
Post subject: 

Glenn hands down. she becomes that role. the depth,the mannerisms,her voice is perfect for it..thats norma singing not glenn.. the role is one of her finest.

LuPone over oes it and sounds like a parody of herself. she isnbt playing Norma she is playing Patti. she is dreadful in the role.

Author:  jcstar [ Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I vote for Petula Clarke.

Andy.

Author:  matonad44 [ Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

jcstar wrote:
I vote for Petula Clarke.


I hope that's a joke...
:|

Author:  Salome [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:59 am ]
Post subject: 

matonad44 wrote:
jcstar wrote:
I vote for Petula Clarke.


I hope that's a joke...
:|


Il ove petula but she,elaine paige and patti lupone rank as the 3 worst Normas.

Author:  jcstar [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

matonad44 wrote:
jcstar wrote:
I vote for Petula Clarke.


I hope that's a joke...
:|


Nope. I was serious. I also love Carroll from the Canadian highlights.

I love Close as well. I hope she does the film version.

Andy

Author:  Natalie [ Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

I am not a big fan of Betty Buckley, but I think that she did a decent job.

The reason I prefer LuPone is that I think she most exemplified the spirit that Gloria Swanson brought to the original film. The character must be OVER THE TOP and Patti LuPone did that exceedingly well. But because Norma Desmond is SO overwhelmingly a "self-caricature" of demented Diva, it's a tough role to play. How can you put a personal stamp on the character without tonining her down?

Ultimately, I vote for Patti.

Author:  Salome [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:02 am ]
Post subject: 

actually glenn CLose was much closer to the Swanson style than Lupone was. Glenn played an agin silent film queen. Patti played well..Patti overacting.

i saw both.Patti was embarassing in the role.

Author:  matonad44 [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Salome wrote:
Patti played well..Patti overacting.

i saw both.Patti was embarassing in the role.


Okay. How many times can you say the same thing in one theard.
We get the point.

Author:  lalala [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 am ]
Post subject: 

She's allowed - just because you don't agree doesn't mean that her point isn't just as valuable as people saying "patti's great" over and over.

I think Glenn Close is a far better Norma as well. The 'face' of Norma is hugely important, both symbolically and in characterisation. Glenn Close's facial expression captures so much - in an instant, she can be tender, beautiful, demented, crazily intense, powerful.. you name it, she can be it. Plus, she can sing, rather well.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/