The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The big overhaul - 1987/88 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post The big overhaul - 1987/88
Hi,

My love of musical theatre began as a youngster with the purchase of the Starlight Express original cast CD, recorded in 1984.
I got the CD around 1990/91

I am very curious about the significant changes to the show after this original recording, which to me is the definitive version of Starlight Express.

I understand that the show changed and incorporated many of the Broadway alterations around 1987/88 - and would be curious to know whether the show changed gradually over the years leading into the 1987/88 change - or did the show suddenly change overnight?

Also, how were these changes advertised to audiences....if at all, prior to the 1992 New Starlight Express launch.

I'm aware of a 1983 workshop recording of the original cast, but does any recording exist of the original version of Starlight Express in its entirety in video form?

P.S - here is a fantastic recent video of Ray Shell, the original Rusty, singing "Starlight Express" in Feb 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPZVVEL-7iI

Jason

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm

Post Re: The big overhaul - 1987/88
Hi Jason,

Are you looking at the US version of the show, or the London one? If it's London, the real expert on the show is Belle Pullman, but she doesn't post here any more that I know of.

http://www.bellesdomain.co.uk/

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:24 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hi

The Apollo version from 1984 that was recorded as the Original London Cast.

Thanks for the info re: Belle - will move my inquiries over to that site :)

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Many of the changes were gradual, others were work shopped during shows prior to the official change.

He Whistled at Me, Only He and Call Me Rusty were both replaced well before '92. Just as No Comeback was cut much earlier. Other changes that came into London in '92 were made in earlier versions around the world, such as the movie of Pumping Iron to after AC/DC and the cutting of Belle as a character completely.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]