The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Fan art O/Twould this make you mad? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Fan art O/Twould this make you mad?
first, apologies to this boards administration. I see this as a service announcement.
Secondly, before you read on please consider the situation as if it was your art that was stolen.
third, any trolling spamming, or otherwise yelling at me will be ignored. this is only to show how the ORIGINAL artist feels when their art is stolen. It is also to emphasis that you will be caught, there are ways to prove you stole the art, and in the end you will look foolish.

* The original art is on the top.

now let's say you spent hours drawing that original piece? Let's say you went to school and learned anatomy, and were proud of your hard work.
then you see the stolen version of the art...the sailor moon and this under it.

"It took me hours to draw. i worked at it and made an original sm picture. the moon is done in photoshiop but the art is mine. do not copy or trace my art plz. lol. you are jelos of my talent. rockzors me. chow sm fans"

~ uhm, okay not only a tracer and thief, but bad at the english.
when confronted with the fact that she traced:

Rollerboyjeremy: excuse me. I don't mean to be rude, but could you please change the description of your fan piece. It is not your original art, nor did you come up with the pose. the art is taken from my pencil drawing located here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/53390333/ please give proper credit, and please add a credit on the art itself. If you do not comply I will take legal action.

Her response: fck U tard. thes iz my art. you are jelos. go fck yourself! you traced my art!

rollerboyjeremy: first, I did not trace your art. the rest of your gallery is filled with traced art from Oh my Goddess, Lupin III, yu-gi-oh, and elf quest. Secondly, I never gave you permission to use my art as reference or to edit. thirdly, grow up, take some art classes and DO your own work please. Also...get a dictionary.

Her response: et iz all my original art stupid liar. I am a great artist. I have many years art training. you are an asshole. take the art you traced from me down. fck you.

to which I then reported her, and had her removed and banned from the art board she was on. I saved the art she had in her gallery to my hard drive, and e-mailed my complaint to the powers that be.
to all her "friends" I will ignore your threats, comments, and bullying.
to anyone who knows her here, note that this post has been posted on EVERY forum I post on, and I post on quite a few.

this pertains especially to Starlight and CATS fans. there are Many GREAT fan artists here, and it would be shameful to see someone take credit for your hard work.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You kinda can tell it's traced too. :roll:
I'll admit I used some of your art as insperation, before I knew you. But now I know you, and that it's yours, I credit.

Tracing... It's nice when you're learning, and need to get practice. But never claim it as your own...
I've never had my art stolen, and... I really hope I never do.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'll admit I used some of your art as insperation, before I knew you. But now I know you, and that it's yours, I credit.

inspiration is fine, as is crediting the art. I actually like to see people inspired by my art, or even drawing versions of my fan characters. That is something that makes me happy.

but yea, the pure tracing bit is a little anger educing.

and of course. "It is" wrong to claim art you traced as your own.

Edit to artwork:
Well, her Mother e-mailed me. And I gave her mother quite the earful. Her response was to back down from threatening me. However, only after I explained the situation and displayed all stolen art to her.
Apparently (according to the person claiming to be a parent, and as this person actually typed in proper English so I can somewhat believe this to be true) She is a minor. As she is under 18, I have agreed to blur out her name. But I refuse to remove the art itself.

I'm not heartless, and I do care. I hope this is a lesson this young lady does not soon forget.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ugh, copy cats are the worst, especially when it's hard enough getting a reputation as an artist without other people stealing from you!
People who say it's *just* a picture have no idea how hard it is to make money when you earn a living through your art!

It doesn't matter if she's 14. She's still old enough to know better. At least you know that you'll draw hundreds of wonderful things in your life, but she's so talentless she'll never get very far.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]