The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
which ones better 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post which ones better
Do you guys prefer the original over the 1992 London Cast?

Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Infinitely. I loathe and despise the 1992 london recording. The OLC recording has its faults, I'm willing to aknowledge, but it's so much better than the "new" one! The OLC is maybe 2/3 of the live show, so there's loads of cuts. The mixing makes them mostly impossible to hear where it cuts, it just doesn't make sense unless you already know what's going on. And the OLC plays "Rolling Stock" and "Pumping Iron" a little too slow. No idea why, they weren't like that in performance apparently...

If you can find it, the Japan tour recording is far better than the 1992 London, but is similar in that it's just the songs, 1 CD. The cast are much better on the Japan cast! Also, all the German language recordings are very good, the double CD 1989 recording being the actual entire live show, as it used to be! Very atmospheric. the 1991 Highlights has one of the best casts, and the 1988 concept album is fabulously 80s cheesy. It's very similar to the 1987 Broadway album, that's also a concept album. Very 80s pop, no resemblance to the show at all, but some of the tracks are gorgeous.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I always say don't mess with the work unless you're gonna make it better...
my two cents

peace
zvika

Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I only ever saw the 1992 version of the show, and was very used to that recording, so I expected to hate the original. However, I much prefer it. Yes, some of it is synthesised 80's type music, but it is so much better. It's a far more complete recording, and has some great songs which were cut in the revamp, especially 'There's Me' and 'Belle the Sleeping Car' which I love.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:57 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Ah, Belle, Belle, Belle, the sleeping ... truck..

Yeh, that's probably my favourite 'blues' song. I love belting it out, when nobody is around to correct me!

Me too!! It's such a great song to belt along to!!

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:48 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post well
I saw the new produciton of it in london wich i really liked and loved the set i throught it was awsome and i do love the songs some of them but i aslot sore the tour of it in cardiff and beacue it was a tour they did have the whole set and track it was on a screen thign which didnt give the show the same effect but i must sya i think the dancing sining and sogn are greta

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:56 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: well
panda wrote:
I saw the new produciton of it in london wich i really liked and loved the set i throught it was awsome and i do love the songs some of them but i aslot sore the tour of it in cardiff and beacue it was a tour they did have the whole set and track it was on a screen thign which didnt give the show the same effect but i must sya i think the dancing sining and sogn are greta

8O

I'm not trying to sound like TVAW, but that was the biggest run-on sentence I've EVER seen.

MZR

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]