The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New UK touring cast 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post New UK touring cast
Anyone know if the cast has been announced yet for when the tour restarts next year? Purely because I'm nosey. *g*

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So far -

Rusty - Oliver Rhoe Thornton
Greaseball - Tom Kanavan
Electra - Mykal Rand
Poppa - is being cast... might be Rob Grose, if they have any sense!

Pearl - Miria Parvin
Dinah - Lucy Jane Adcock
Ashley -
Buffy -

Rocky/Hopper 1 -
2 -
3 -
Flat-top -
Dustin -Gavin Ashbarry
Caboose -

Wrench -
Joule -
Volta - Rebecca Lisewski
Purse -
Krupp???? PLEASE???

Ruhrgold -
Turnov -
Nintendo - Adam Ellis
Princey -
Trax -

Also -
Tim Driesen
Andrew Millar
Jamie Capewell
James Marshall
Tony Andrade.

But this is all, of course, rumour and hear-say, but as it's mostly heard from past cast members, I should hope it's fairly reliable. This is what is/was being planned - but plans might well change before contracts are signed and rehearsals start.

Last edited by Belle on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Aaaah, I want to see it again now.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:47 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Will update the post above - Dinah is apparently Lucy Jane Adcock, a Lainey.... Seems she's recently been a swing in Fame, tour of Beauty and the Beast, and Tonight's The Night...

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.bellesdomain.co.uk/castuk06.html

Here we have it, the cast list only three days after they start! The wonders of modern technology, eh...

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's a review I did when I saw SLExpress in January.

I went to see the matinee performance and although I had the best seat in the house (with the exception of ' Mum can you pass the coke?' in a really good solo and 'What does U-N--C-O-U--P-L-E-D spell?' and the mum thinking she was a brilliant human being cos she knew that London is the only city in the world that does not have the chandelier fall due to health in safety in Phantom of the Opera. Well duh any true musical theatre fan would know that) SL Express exceeded my expectations of the costume and makeup.

Thats what I was most looking forward too as my Nan nan who saw it in London years & years with American students ago, said was fab.

However it is not the best piece of musical theatre that I have seen. It was only 2 hours with a interval and I was like 'What already?' when it ended. The use of 3D film is just wrong. Theatre is live and it should be about the talent. I 100% believe that.

I was lovng Michael Samuels (Poppa), Tom Kanvan (Greaseball) and Miria Parvin (Pearl) who i personally thought was the best female lead. I couldn't stand Lucy - Jane Abcock who played Dinah. They were stars!

Best songs : Poppa's Blues ACT 1, One Rock 'n' Roll Too Many & Light At The End of the Tunnel BOTH ACT II.

I have nothing but utter admiration for the cast who have to skate WHILST singing so controlling their breath must be so hard. Good on them for leading the healthy lifestyle!

Musically speaking I think it is one of AL Webbers worst works along with Joseph. It's a really cute idea to write a musical for your children about steam trains coming to life (again like Phantom which he based on Sarah Brightman) but for me it's a no no. This show for me for overrated and I wouldn't go and see it again. It's a bit like Marmite you either love it or hate it - in my case I hated it (apart from costume + make up)

:D

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Sat May 27, 2006 2:07 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's such a shame that the tour is the only production in the UK. It's very flawed. The cast are wonderful, in my opinion, I'm definitely a fan of Miria Parvin as Pearl! And Mykal Rand as Electra is amazing.
But this tour has so much material cut or altered, I quite agree it's absurdly short, and unbalanced - act two is so much shorter than act 1, the secondary chracters are given no stage time - did you ever find out anything about Ashley, Buffy or Caboose watching the tour?
The 3D films don't work for me - literally, I can't see the 3D effect, and artistically the substitution of film for the races means that you lose the energy and excitement of the races, which should be a peak in the show becomes a trough in the energy. I accept there's no way of staging the races in touring theatres, which suggests to me that StEx shouldn't be touring theatres!
Starlight is a show that unashamedly relies heavily on spectacle and scale. The tour lacks that scale. It's a shame they didn't compensate for lack of scale by increasing the amount of story-telling and characterisation in the show!

Sat May 27, 2006 7:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

...and the mum thinking she was a brilliant human being cos she knew that London is the only city in the world that does not have the chandelier fall due to health in safety in Phantom of the Opera...

I hope you told her that she's wrong... It falls quite slowly compared to other countries, but it does fall!

Sat May 27, 2006 3:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

But this tour has so much material cut or altered, I quite agree it's absurdly short, and unbalanced - act two is so much shorter than act 1, the secondary chracters are given no stage time - did you ever find out :cry: anything about Ashley, Buffy or Caboose watching the tour?

The thing is, they had to change the set round to fit our theatre as it's quite small in comparison to other venues. This happened with The King and I, the set which I was most looking forward to, was absolutely abismal. Even an amateur production had a better set design.

:x The narrator did my head in. I think it was pre recorded but the voice was so 'oooooo choo-choo train time kids!' And yes I do think it was a shame that the other characters weren't given a chance. It was terribly overrated for what it was / is.

Quote:
I hope you told her that she's wrong... It falls quite slowly compared to other countries, but it does fall!

:evil: Agh she and her kids did my head in. You respect the theatre and you shut up. Be as noisy as you like in a cinema not in a theatre. The woman kept coughing and I was like GET SOME LIQUID IN YOU ,YOU IDIOT WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU BOUGHT A COKE FOR? The use of popcorn in a theatre and sweets should be banned like in France. (well I think it is...)

Although if I had to list the members of this forum whose sense of self-worth seems alarmingly dependent upon the constant sycophantic support of internet-based friends, I`d certainly run out of fingers. - Mumsytype

Sun May 28, 2006 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I take it you saw the show in Torquay? I think they've been using the same set for all venues this year, significantly cut down from last year's tour. There's just nowhere for them to go, no room to skate, which is a real problem in a show that's all about movement!
The recorded voice of Control is a young girl, trust me, she sounds better than Control did in later London, voiced by an adult woman! It's meant to be the voice of the child playing with the trainset, who falls asleep and dreams the whole story. But I don't think this comes across well.

Sun May 28, 2006 4:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes I did lol The Princess Theatre! :D Have you seen a show there? I have been in 1 show there 'Abba Mania.' So embarrasing.. :oops:

Quote:
The recorded voice of Control is a young girl, trust me, she sounds better than Control did in later London, voiced by an adult woman! It's meant to be the voice of the child playing with the trainset, who falls asleep and dreams the whole story. But I don't think this comes across well.

Nope. It freaked me out big time. I was in silent hysterics during the whole show. :lol:

Sun May 28, 2006 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Belle, by the way I am called Belle on Thestage forums lol. Weird lol! Love your website by the way! :mrgreen: =D>

Sun May 28, 2006 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next