The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Robots 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Robots
I'm just curious, if anyone here saw the new movie 'Robots', was anyone else reminded of this musical by the characters in the movie?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life" John 3:16

"The ones who deserve love the least are the ones who need love the most"-anynomous

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Robots and trains... yeah, i can sort of see a little bit of connection... :roll:

~Sissi

Prop: Sarah's red ball gown (Tanz der Vampire)

"A beautiful voice is not enough." - Maria Callas

Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yeah, but what did you expect? Predictable but fun.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Robots
Zarquen wrote:
I'm just curious, if anyone here saw the new movie 'Robots', was anyone else reminded of this musical by the characters in the movie?

Shhhh... no.. just... no. Don't insult Starlight like that.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Robots ---> STEX as CGI
Zarquen wrote:
I'm just curious, if anyone here saw the new movie Robots, was anyone else reminded of this musical by the characters in the movie?

It's funny that you mention this. I think that the only way to make Starlight Express work as a movie would be to make a CGI film adaptation of the show. Preferably by a production company like PIXAR who is able to develop remarkably fleshed-out characters from types. For me, one of the fundamental problems with Starlight Express is that we never get deep enough into the characters - even for a piece of fluffy entertainment. One should want to care about what happens to Rusty, understanding what the specific and universal stakes are when he wins or loses the race. There is an attempt here, as in Cats to place an entire mythological way of life onto the stage and, for me, I think the exploration could be a little more intensive. The narrative is never going to become more complex, but the world in which it exists can.

I think that PIXAR, in particular, makes CGI films that transcend the child/parent entertainment boundaries and that their films have a mass appeal to all ages. The folks at PIXAR are also not afraid of telling their stories from the point of view of the older / adult characters in the plot and I think that Rusty's rites-of-passage / coming-of-age narrative in Starlight Express would be a perfect vehicle for them.

I also think the basic framework of the child playing with his trains should be retained and possibly fleshed out slightly so that there is a reflection of the main plot in the bookend segments (which would take care of the child's experience when viewing the film - the "Nemo" sections of Finding Nemo). And I think that there should be free use of all the material created for Starlight Express in the main body of the film (the "Marlin/Dori" sections of Finding Nemo, which bring the teen/adult viewing experience into focus) so that the best songs can be used to tell the story.

I think this would also offer the opportunity to make use of really good singing voices for the characters, as I often feel that there are compromises made in Starlight Express - which certainly become evident on the cast albums - so that a proficient skating cast can be assembled.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Congratulations on Necro-posting a 6-month dead thread.

I think the only way to effectively film Starlight Express would be to put cameras on a live production.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:02 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Adapting (STEX) for film....
Belle wrote:
I think the only way to effectively film Starlight Express would be to put cameras on a live production.

I don't see what the point of that would be, other than as a record of any given production of the show. The stage show is made to be seen live. I don't think that recording the show could effectively capture the thrill of the experiencing the show live unless, maybe, it was exclusively an IMAX release (and then there would only be a limited market). Look at how the effect of Cats was diminished in its video version. I think the only way to adapt something to a new medium is to try and envision the piece as if it was originally made for the medium in question.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I purrsonally think a Stex inspired movie would be fun, if it was JUST inspired by Stex...and not trying to be Stex.

perhaps even a animated traditionally feature...?

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Post STEX as an Animated Feature
Roller Boy wrote:
I personally think a STEX inspired movie would be fun, if it was just inspired by STEX and not trying to be STEX. Perhaps even a animated traditionally feature?

I think that animation is definitely the right medium for putting this show on film. I suggested CGI though because it has a kind of sheen to it that I think would work well with the metal of the trains and so forth. I think that traditional 2-D animation might end up looking a bit juvenile - a bit too Thomas and the Tank Engine - for my taste. Especially if it was produced by an American or British animation company.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^,^ Oh yes, But i was thinking Miazaki~esk Mecha Nihon style.

Asian animation style would really KICK major butt!

Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

Post Rich Asian animation
Roller Boy wrote:
I was thinking Miyazaki... style. Asian animation style would really KICK major butt!

It would. But Asian animation companies have their own wealth of material, drawn from their mythology and their own contemporary daily lives. I think, given the success of the Japanese/Australian tour that an Anime Starlight Express would appeal to audiences in Japan as well as here, but would it appeal to Japanese filmmakers? Would they have stakes to invest in such a project?

Although, now that you're mentioning Miyazaki, I think he could turn Starlight Express into something spectacular. Of course, there is plenty of room for the fantastic machinery he loves to incorporate into his films; it would be easy enough for him to slot in his noble obsession with the environment, the debate around sources of power tying in nicely with this; and the idea of magic, also prominent in the Studio Ghibli films, is already there. So perhaps it could be a successful anime-style film.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

^.^ I know it's not possible, and will most likely NEVER happen.

But isn't it a neat thought?

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]