The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
The real meaning of Happy Talk 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post The real meaning of Happy Talk
As I've mentioned before, 'Happy Talk' is my all-time favorite SP song. I was listening to the 1958 film Disc 1 commentary and Ted Chapin (president of R&H Theatricals) gives his analysis of 'Happy Talk'. He believes that the song is all part of Bloody Mary's plan to get Cable to marry Liat. While this is well and good, I have a different analysis. I think it's a means to get Cable to fall MORE in love with Liat. Because let's face it, in the premise of the stage show, Cable and Liat only have one scene together (Younger than Springtime), which doesn't allow them much time to get to know each other. But again, all songs are open to diferent interpretations, so I'd love to hear what other people think is the meaning behind this wonderful song.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:28 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I always thought it was used to have Cable be more in love with Liat, too by getting to know the other.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Brainwashing...
Dear Apples2for10,

I myself believe that Bloody Mary is sort of brainwashing the two kids into believing that they'll have a perfect life together. She tells them to just "talk happy," etc., and she emphasizes the erotic, playful aspects of their future relationship. She even claims that NEITHER of them will ever have to work, and that if the war continues, they'll both be able to rake in the dough from her (Bloody Mary's) financial conquests on the black market.

Bloody Mary is a first class manipulator/ propagandist, with regards to her relationships with both Liat and Cable, and she'll do whatever it takes to get her own way with them, and with the Seabees. She'll take insults, and even racism, if she can continue to deal with the American soldiers in such a way that she'll become wealthy.

In some ways, the song "Happy Talk" is both happy and deceptive. The light, and the truly positive aspects of the song are represented by the fact that Liat and Cable are truly enjoying themselves.

The negative aspects of the song are abundant. Bloody Mary makes sensuality, youth, and marriage seem to be a neverending playdate/ "play date" between her daughter and the soldier, and she doesn't acknowledge the fact that war is really hell, and that she's exploiting the proliferation of that hell in order to get her own way; I am now wondering if she's subconsciously using the black market to make money off of the very same people who devalue her because of her race...after all, the Seabees discuss the Tonkinese as though they're not even human, and yet, Bloody Mary, for all of the verbal digs that she throws back at them, trades with them anyway...

In a deceptive way, if Cable and Liat really marry each other, and live off of Bloody Mary's dishonest earnings, they too will be promoting the Hell on Earth that's known as war.

SPOILER: Unfortunately, fortunately, or both, Cable dies, and his future with Liat is ended forever...

Liat will now be married to a wealthy man whom she doesn't even like, but, then again, that was, suspiciously enough, her mother's back-up plan for her...

Thanks in advance for your reply.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: The real meaning of Happy Talk
I was thinking about this earlier today: if bloody Mary is profiting so much from the war, why are her living conditions so meager?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]