The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Which Version Should I Watch? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Post Which Version Should I Watch?
So, what should it be? The original movie, or the Glenn Close 2001 TV version? I kinda want to see Emile in the 2001 version since he has the same background (Croatian) as me (pathetically, I am still unable to pronounce that confounded surname of his XD)...it's sort of like why I automatically like Goran Visnic from ER...he's an actor from my teeny tiny little country who made it big...Not really practical, but hey...it's a step forward for my culture.

So, here's the downlow. I usher at a community theatre, and SP was the final show in the annual MT season (the place is rent-out, so the season is basically five companies each putting on a show, during the last two weeks of the month-one comoany each month, October to November and Jan-March) so I've seen the show (about 4 times XD) I know the story and the music. I wikkied the movies, so I know that they rearranged a lot in the 2001 version, and I was also iffy about Glenn Close because of her age-she appears to be too old, to play Nelly-but since she's a good actress and singer, I could look past her appearance.

Anywho, I'd like you South Pacific Experts to tell me which is better, so I can rent and watch it.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I felt more for Cable and Liat in the older version. Close's age was not as off-putting as one might have thought though... it gave an interesting dimension to her struggle with her own prejudice, as well as a certain poignance to her romance. Luther's character is too obviously padded to give Pastorelli more screentime and stature. (Shame about his suicide irl) Both Emile's are good... The technicolor in the older version drives me nuts... it's so garish. Musically, I think the older version is better. I would eventually watch both... did that help at all????

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]