Can there be an Asian Nellie?
Yes! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No. 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 9

Nellie's ethnicity? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Nellie's ethnicity?
I'm auditioning in a few weeks for South Pacific at my high school and I want the role of Nellie sooooo badly! I know "Cockeyed Optimist" down pat, and our personas are basically one and the same. The downside is that I'm Asian, the only Asian auditioning, and seeing where the show is set, I'm probably a shoe-in for Bloody Mary.

I don't want to be Bloody Mary, so do you think that it's possible for me to be Nellie? Is that unrealistic? Should I dye my hair or something?

What would help my chances of getting the part?

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This show, like say "Show Boat," has to be ethnic-specific because a lot of the story is about racial in- and tolerance. So if you start casting against the true ethnicity of the character, then that totally deflates the conflict of the story.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 am

Main Role: Fan
This show, like say "Show Boat," has to be ethnic-specific because a lot of the story is about racial in- and tolerance. So if you start casting against the true ethnicity of the character, then that totally deflates the conflict of the story.

I agree. The message behind the show is the absurdity of racial intolerance. Having an asian Nellie would subvert the message. I'm sorry for you beacuse you want the role so badly, but Bloody Mary is a great role. I've seen good actresses steal the show with this role, especially if they have a good Luther Billis to play off of. If you do get the role of Mary go for it! You'll have a lot of fun.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]