The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
"Now that I don't have so much to lose..." 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post "Now that I don't have so much to lose..."
A while ago, I saw the Lincoln Center broadcast of "South Pacific in Concert" (starring Reba McEntyre (sp?) and Brian Stokes Mitchell, I believe). One of the most interesting things I noticed was that in the scene between Cable and De Becque following "This Nearly Was Mine," it was De Becque who said the important line about "now that I don't have so much to lose."

Since this was different from the movie, the only other version of SP I had seen up to that point (in the movie, it's Cable who makes that comment), I assumed that the alternate version I'd seen was how the stage script went. However, I just saw the stage show tonight, and they had Cable saying that line as well.

Does anyone know where that other version comes from? Was it just a change that was made for the concert version? Or has there been any other production of SP that has used that version of the scene?

I consider this a subtle but important difference, as it makes De Becque's going on the island with Cable his own personal decision, rather than something Cable talked him into. In fact, I actually find this version stronger.

Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this version? I'd be interested to know.

Sun May 11, 2008 2:00 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Good point--I too think it works better this way, but I'm not sure whether the revision is just for the concert or what.

Although--does anyone else feel a tiny sliver of dislike for Emile's attitude? I don't mean his decision to make a stand for the Allies, but his hint that he has "nothing else to live for". Sure, he has nothing to live for--except two little kids who've already lost one parent!

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Good point--I too think it works better this way, but I'm not sure whether the revision is just for the concert or what.

Although--does anyone else feel a tiny sliver of dislike for Emile's attitude? I don't mean his decision to make a stand for the Allies, but his hint that he has "nothing else to live for". Sure, he has nothing to live for--except two little kids who've already lost one parent!

You're right; I hadn't thought of that. However, I still think that this version of the scene is stronger, as it makes it clear that Emile going to the island is an act of impulsiveness brought about by his shock at Nellie's rejection. If Cable talks him into it, I think it makes Cable's character less likeable, and his death scene less effective. That's just my opinion.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just had to go look in my script... it is Cable who says it... but I may have to ask my director about that... I like the idea of Emille saying that phrase better than Cable using it to talk him into it...
I don't think it makes Cable less likeable... after all, he's a Marine trying to accomplish his mission that he knows can make a difference for his country... a praiseworthy motivation...

I did this show 20 years ago (within about 2 months) as Radio Operator Bob McCaffrey... this time around I'm to be Emille... I'm thinking I have more lines to learn this time... I'll have to check... hehehe

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]