The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Revival to open on Broadway in March 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Revival to open on Broadway in March
Kelli O'Hara is cast as Nellie (Pajama Game, Light in the Piazza among others) I really like her, I think she will do great!

Brazilian baritone Paulo Szot has been cast as Emille.

I saw the article on Broadway.com if you want to check it out!HERE!

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:46 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Any word on whether this production will tour? I'm nowhere near New York.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:02 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Revival News
The revival has opened to a set of excellent reviews, which are briefly summarized in this Playbill article. Some extracts:

Ben Brantley ([i][url=http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/theater/reviews/04paci.html?ref=theater]New York Times[/i][/url]) wrote:
For this South Pacific recreates the unabashed, unquestioning romance that American theatergoers had with the American book musical in the mid-20th century, before the genre got all self-conscious about itself. There’s not an ounce of we-know-better-now irony in Mr. Sher’s staging. Yet the show feels too vital to be a museum piece, too sensually fluid to be square.

I could feel the people around me leaning in toward the stage, as if it were a source of warmth on a raw, damp day. And that warmth isn’t the synthetic fire of can-do cheer and wholesomeness associated (not always correctly) with Rodgers and Hammerstein. It’s the fire of daily life, with all its crosscurrents and ambiguities, underscored and clarified by music.

Matthew Murray ([i][url=http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/]Talkin' Broadway[/i][/url]) wrote:
What a joy it can be to be swept away by a tidal wave! But don't worry: The most engulfing and enrapturing experience of this year - and quite a few others in recent memory - is not the product of global warming or any other natural disaster. In fact, the word "natural" fails to properly describe its provenance: Something this transporting, this precise, and this beautiful can only be crafted by the most skilled of hands.

Also, in a second report from Playbill, in the light of this successful critical reaction, the producers have announced that the revival will now play an open-ended run.

This is wonderful news - South Pacific is my favourite Rodgers and Hammerstein musical and ultimately the one, in my opinion, that has the potential to outlast any of the others.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:47 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...

I mean, it's South Pacific + Kelli O'Hara (who is amazing). Need I say more?

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm so excited for this! I just bought tickets for it today. I'm going to NY for the first time in late May and this will be my first show. SOOO EXCITED!

The cast recording is coming out like the 27th or something like that.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]