The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bloody Mary HELP!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Bloody Mary HELP!!
hey all,
im auditioning for Bloody Mary very soon. we have to sing one song from South Pacific and a contrasting song from another show. as well as do a character piece from the show.
Im going to sing Bali Hai but i can't think of another good contrasting song from another Rodger and Hammestein. Any ideas anyone???
Also where could i get a good Bloody Mary monologue from???
Any extra info about the character that could help in my audition would help loads too!
Thanks ! U guys are really helpful and awesome!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:27 am

Well, since 'Bali Ha'i' is a ballad, you can pick anything lively. Does the contrasting song have to be from another R&H show? If not, that broadens the possibilities. The song that popped into my head was from 'Guys and Dolls': The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game in New York (the section that begins: Why, it's good old relialble Nathan...).

I don't know that Bloody Mary has a monologue, per se. You'd have to scan the script for something suitable. If you can't find a copy of the script, rent the movie. It's pretty close to the show.

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Well, since 'Bali Ha'i' is a ballad, you can pick anything lively. Does the contrasting song have to be from another R&H show? If not, that broadens the possibilities. The song that popped into my head was from 'Guys and Dolls': The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game in New York (the section that begins: Why, it's good old relialble Nathan...).

I don't know that Bloody Mary has a monologue, per se. You'd have to scan the script for something suitable. If you can't find a copy of the script, rent the movie. It's pretty close to the show.

the original film not the remake.

and she doesnt have a monolouge but her saile pitch can be turned into a monolouge by cutting out the other characters lines.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:58 am
Profile WWW

Good point, Salome. I'd forgotten there was a remake, having never seen it. (Made a point of *not* seeing it, in fact.)

The best part, from trm's standpoint, is that Juanita Hall, the OBC Bloody Mary, reprises her role. If only they'd done the same for Ezio Pinza and Mary 'Cleanest Hair on Broadway' Martin.

Let us know how the auditions go, trm!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:36 pm

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
how about "i cain't say no" from oklahoma?

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:02 pm

"I Cain't Say No!" is a VERY overdone audition piece. That is the right idea, however. What about "June is Bustin' Out All Over" from Carousel or "Getting to Know You" from the King and I or "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:29 pm

Good point, Salome. I'd forgotten there was a remake, having never seen it. (Made a point of *not* seeing it, in fact.)

The best part, from trm's standpoint, is that Juanita Hall, the OBC Bloody Mary, reprises her role. If only they'd done the same for Ezio Pinza and Mary 'Cleanest Hair on Broadway' Martin.

Let us know how the auditions go, trm!

Mitzi Gaynor was so much more perfect as Nellie than Mary. no doubt Mary was a fine performer but Mitzi was the right age...had the right niave quality and was rettier.

trivia: even though Juanita Hall reprised her stage role as Bloody mary..her singing voicwe was dubbed by Muriel Smith..the original LOndon Bloody Mary.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:26 am
Profile WWW

On stage, the 'correct age' doesn't matter as much; it's the ability to portray the character to the playwright's specifications that counts. When we did '...Forum' a few years ago, our Hero was twice the age the character was supposed to be, but even in front of an audience that was practically on the stage, he was believable.

As for Ms. Gaynor being prettier, who says Nellie has to be pretty? Granted, I have only the OBC recording to go by, but Ms. Martin's Nellie seemed perfect to me, and my father, who saw the OBC production, certainly had no objections to her portrayal.

Re: trivia: a nice blending of the two OC performers!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm not knocking Mary as Nellie but Mitzi was just right.

and age does matter on stage. you cant get away with drastic age differences..wespecially if you do a show in an intimate setting.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

If you look back, Salome, I did say it doesn't matter *as much*, especially in a large theater. (On screen, it obviously matters rather more.) Our '...Forum' was in an *extremely* intimate setting - 99 audience maximum, and we were right in their laps - literally, at times. However, no one could tell our Hero wasn't 20, nor that our Tintinabula was a grandmother! They were hardly the 'right age', but it was the performance that counted. Mary Martin may have been older, but R&H were looking for the quality of the performance, and they were obviously satisfied.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

bloody mary has a MASSIVE monologue before happy talk. a really good one.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:58 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

im very excited.
:D

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]