The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Nellie or Bloody Mary 

Post Nellie or Bloody Mary
Hi,

I am intending auditioning for this show soon.

I really would love the role of Nellie, its right for my voice and my age but I am not sure if its a big dancey role or not.

There is also the posibility of BM but I don't know much about that role.

Could one [or some] of you please tell me the pros and cons of going for each role.

Thanks a lot. :)

Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:56 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Nellie or Bloody Mary
Aimee wrote:
I really would love the role of Nellie, its right for my voice and my age but I am not sure if its a big dancey role or not. There is also the possibility of BM but I don't know much about that role. Could one [or some] of you please tell me the pros and cons of going for each role.

Well, the parts are very different both vocally and physically. It's not likely that a performer would simply find the roles interchangeable.

Nellie really doesnt have to be a wonderful dancer. As long as she can move well, that's fine. The challenge of the role is in the singing and acting.

Maybe you should rent the 1958 film to get a better idea of the roles and their requirements. Don't get the recent Glenn Close version for this task, which despite its merits, is incredibly different to the stage show and might confuse you at this time.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:49 pm
Profile WWW

Ok thanks, I will. I have only seen the Glenn Clse one before now.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:07 pm

How big is the part of BM? I know she sings two main songs but does she sing in anthing esle, like finales or ensembles etc?

How much dialogue does she get?

Thanks.
xx

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:08 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I think of Nellie as being mid-20s to early-30s, & if I remember correctly, you just turned 40? I've never seen the Glenn Close version, but I've heard from many people that she is just too old to pull off that role. I just did this show this summer, & I think our Nellie was about 32. Age is important b/c it's an issue in the story--Emile is a lot older than she is, & this point is brought up several times.

Nellie has big solos in A Cockeyed Optimist, Twin Soliloquies, I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out-a My Hair, A Wonderful Guy, & Honey Bun. For dancing, it probably depends on the production, but our Nellie was also our choreographer, so she gave herself some solo dances. I think they were in A Wonderful Guy & the Thanksgiving Follies dance. I don't think Nellie has to be that great of a dancer though, like David said. She's pretty much the star of the show, so she has a lot of stage time.

Bloody Mary sings Bali Ha'i & Happy Talk, & she sings a short little reprise of Nothing Like a Dame. She's onstage during Bloody Mary & Nothing Like a Dame but doesn't sing, & she's not in any other chorus songs. She really doesn't have to dance at all, unless your director chooses to have her dance. She has quite a bit of dialogue, interacting w/ the GIs & bringing together Cable & Liat. BM is a pretty good character role. She sort of flirts w/ the sailors & marines, but first and foremost she is mother to Liat & cares very much about her daughter (& finding her a good husband). She is also an entrepreneur--always trying to get the GIs to buy her wares. She has less stage time than Nellie, but she would be a really fun role to play. Our BM was very fun-loving & laughed a lot. She has the potential to be a show-stealing role (though she would have to compete w/ Billis).

I second the recommendation of renting the '58 version of the movie to become more familiar w/ the show & characters. (Though in my personal opinion, the stage show is better than this movie.) I hope some of this helps!

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:06 pm

I hope some of this helps!
It all helps, very much, thanks a lot. :)

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:55 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

i've wanted to play bloody marry ever since i was in the show 3 years ago at 11!

i think you could have more fun as BM...she is a comedic role i guess....

if the director chooses it could invole flicking off and f u sign to the g.i.s and seabees

only 1 song but is on stage a lot

Nelli on the other hand has like, 4 songs? something like that...dancing really all depends on the director....she could have a lot or she could have none at all it all depends...but I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair generally has dancing with the nurses ..including Nellie

Annie: Hooverville/NYC/Boylan Swing
Into the Woods: Female Lead Understudy

8O

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:34 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
i've wanted to play bloody marry ever since i was in the show 3 years ago at 11!

i think you could have more fun as BM...she is a comedic role i guess....

if the director chooses it could invole flicking off and f u sign to the g.i.s and seabees

only 1 song but is on stage a lot

Nelli on the other hand has like, 4 songs? something like that...dancing really all depends on the director....she could have a lot or she could have none at all it all depends...but I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair generally has dancing with the nurses ..including Nellie

Mary has 2 songs..Bali Hai and Happy Talk..and while she has comedic dialouge is not a comic role.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

"Talk about things you like tooooooo dooooooooo"

I found her funny...

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]